seeing gojira tonight

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
nyc has gotten a serious gift from the metal gods the last like month going through the next few weeks. there is just an onslaught of great great metal shows.

so far i've seen: arch enemy, porcupine tree, btbam, unearth, horse the band, every time i die, chimaira, katakalysm, and down.

and tonight is gojira and JFAC. i am stoked about gojira i saw them on the lamb of god tour was impressed and i like their album a lot. for some crazy reason it reminds me of something devin townsend would do. i guess it's the rawness of the production.

next week it's the big daddy of heavy metal shows for. quite possible the most starpacked metal concert package i've seen in years. lamb of god/killswitch/ soilwork/ devil driver... i can't wait for that jammy

I saw them the other night. Behemoth was FUCKIN INSANE. One of the best live shows ever. My throat still hurts. JFAC did nothing for me and I looked around me and I must've been the oldest one there haha. Anyway. Beneath the Massacre was fuckin sick too.

I saw them when they came through LA... one of the best shows I've been to! Beneath the Massacre was cool as usual, Gojira absolutely dominated, JFAC sucked (Some chick actually shouted "holy shit, that's the spongebob band!") and Behemoth tore me a new one.

really? so its a good idea to go early then lol.

do you guys generally dislike JFAC or just their live show? i think the album (aside from the stellar production) was decent. i was curious to see how they fair live

yea well i just came back. gojira was awesome. JFAC was eh live. the drummer was sloppy. and the music seemed to be a bland pallete of noise. the guitar leads were awful, as souless as they are on the album they were worse live. it was ok but it was more than made up by the fact that gojira was so awesome. i was in the second row and the sound was so clear for gojira the drums sounded awesome. i don't know what kind of shit the frount of house guy was doign but the snare and kick sounded dope almost like through a fuckign distressor. i can't emphasize how good gojira was.

im not a fan of behemoth at all so i stayed for a couple of songs. me personalyl i'm not into like the whole gothic thing, they were just as bland as JFAC but i enjoyed the set overall because i know the songs from the album. i can't stand the behemoth fans that were booing and throwing stuff at JFAC. yougotta be a real looser to do that stuff. if you don;t like it just shut up and do your best to bear with it. i'm not a fan of heckling or being stupid unless the band REALLY sucks. they were lookign at each other when JFAC was up like they are opera fans and they are so shocked by extreme metal. give me a break.

ps - the nature of the music wouldnt make JFAC a good live band because you never get into the grooves and stuff. they have no consistent parts in their music that lock into a rhythym to excite people.

I saw them when they came through LA... one of the best shows I've been to! Beneath the Massacre was cool as usual, Gojira absolutely dominated, JFAC sucked (Some chick actually shouted "holy shit, that's the spongebob band!") and Behemoth tore me a new one.

Spongebob?

Saw that tour last weekend, Gojira was awesome, they had the wierdest mic setup i've ever seen on a guitar cab (for live anyway) wish i had my camera with me. it looked like one of those MXL $100 condensers on a bracket about 6" away from the cab and about 1" from the edge of the speaker. Beneath The Masscre was good, but i feel the tech stuff they did was dated. Behemoth was just phenominal, I was drooling over Seth's guitar tone, (I need a Laboga now). I talked to a roadie outside and he said thay had Kranks on stage due to an endorsment deal, but Nergal rocked a roadking and Seth the Laboga. I havent heard much JFAC but they were a joke playing after Behemoth. it was mostly kids and thier emo girlfirends who stayed for them. I might have liked them but Behemoth made them look like amatures.

in not into behemoth but i guess for their own genre they are good. but whatever to each his own im not a basher. they sounded allright. yea one of the guitarists had a road king with the diamond plte but i mean the road king is essentially a modern dual recto with more bells and whistles.

and yes i totaly forgot i noticed how weird the mic setup was for gojira. i couldn;t tell what kind of condenser it was even though i was like 20 feet away i thought it was neumann like tlm or something at first buti couldn't tell. i found it odd that it was so far from the cabinet. usually you see it on the grille especially live and especialyl for this type of music

Yeah dude, Gojira's guitarists each use a TLM103 on the cabinents - ridiculously expensive mic to be bringing on tour! 5150's with the gain on 10 FTL, tho :(.

Behemoth was Roadking for Nergal, Laboga Mr. Hector for Seth, but each had a mix of Krank and Laboga cabinets.

oh so i was right. the only reason i second guessed myself is i thought why the hell would they use a tlm on tour lol.

i heard the gutiar during soundcheck it did sound rediculously overgainy but i guess it's their style and cuts through the mix. the plus maybe it has somethign to do with the mic being distant from the cab. i'd say like 6 inches or so off the top right speaker. the cabinets were slanted and had the overhang.

by the way dss3 did u pick up what amps JFAC were using. i thought it was the kranks and mesas but i guess they were behemoths. for my show behemoth closed out the show so i didn't know at the time i thought it was JFAC setup. even though the perofrmance was so so the guitar tone was actualyl pretty nice. the guy with the messy hair had an ibanez v blade w emgs and the other dude had a rg3020 royal brown burst with emgs. i almost got that guitar but i hate the neck thru and the polished neck. i like the woody wizard necks. anythign that is polished or whatever the term is is not slick enough for my hands and has way too much friction as i like to play some hot licks once in a while and sometimes just feel like wankin along to jason becker orsuch :loco::loco:

Yup... I peeked through a curtion onstage from the stairwell at HoB... 5150 and Deliverance in a rack, into Mesa cabinets. The 5150 was the only head with a cable in the input jack, for stage right anyways. Couldn't get that close a look on stage right, but it looked like the same 5150/Deliverance combo.

Fuck yeah, I saw them in NYC last december with Amon, Sanctity and CoB at the nokia theatre. They killed it, awesome awesome show.

Just for the record, although I couldn't make it to that show (BB King's, right?), I can definitely sympathize with the Behemoth fans who loathe JFaC, seeing as how I am a die-hard subscriber to both of those aspects. The differences to me are night and day between the two; while Behemoth has intricate melodies and amazing, tasteful drum fills, I feel like the death-core bands are just much simpler; generic trem-picked riffs over blasts and sludging over breakdowns; in other words, I've always felt that "-core" infuses too much raw, uncontrolled agression compared with the tight, controlled, brutality of metal. For an example of the amazing, brutal intricacies of Behemoth, I would reference "At the left hand ov God," "Mysterium Coniunctonis (Hermanubis)," and "Christgrinding Avenue" (though I usually change tracks once it sets into the groove part for the last two minutes, just gets a bit dull).

Man, haven't done that kinda preachiness in awhile, but I just thought I'd try and clarify why some people could be so aghast at JFaC and yet adore Behemoth. But hey, the final sentiment will always be "to each his or her own."

EDIT: www.myspace.com/behemoth has "At the Left Hand..." as well as "Slaves Shall Serve," another great one.

Oh, and is anyone else surprised that "Prometherion" is their first single off of "The Apostasy?" It's easily my least favorite song on the whole album, I would think "Left Hand...," "Libertherme," or especially "Be without Fear" would be better choices

there are also people who hate JFAC but love Behemoth because Behemoth has been around FOREVER, they definitely have a larger world-wide audience than JFAC, and yet JFAC was headlining....

I LOVE Behemoth and kind of like JFAC, but this tour's lineup is just ridiculous

Oh, and is anyone else surprised that "Prometherion" is their first single off of "The Apostasy?" It's easily my least favorite song on the whole album, I would think "Left Hand...," "Libertherme," or especially "Be without Fear" would be better choices

At the left Hand Ov God will be the next single. Ner himself said it in an interview. I cannot wait. That is probably my favorite song ever no lie.