seen a cool thing for a sm57 last weekend..

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
At this venue we played at the sound guy was so frustrated from his sm57 getting bashed by drunk drummers and having to keep buying a few each month. He built this cool little metal thing surrounding the sm57 grill so they wont get broke any more. I wish i had taken a picture but its probably one of the coolest things i have seen. It was all open will like 4 metal bars curving to a metal circle thing so it really won't effect the sound being that its not closed in and is just enough to stop a stick from bashing it. Well at least if it did in any way effect the sound there using it live were its not as critical as recording.

I really thought about building something similar cause Ive already lost a 57 from my bands first recording session. So I'm worried that I'm gonna lose another soon be it my band or another that i record......

Anyone else ever seen anything like this made??

At this venue we played at the sound guy was so frustrated from his sm57 getting bashed by drunk drummers and having to keep buying a few each month. He built this cool little metal thing surrounding the sm57 grill so they wont get broke any more. I wish i had taken a picture but its probably one of the coolest things i have seen. It was all open will like 4 metal bars curving to a metal circle thing so it really won't effect the sound being that its not closed in and is just enough to stop a stick from bashing it. Well at least if it did in any way effect the sound there using it live were its not as critical as recording.

I really thought about building something similar cause Ive already lost a 57 from my bands first recording session. So I'm worried that I'm gonna lose another soon be it my band or another that i record......

Anyone else ever seen anything like this made??

Yeah, every time the mic gets hit, my fist automatically punches the drummer in the face... fortunately for me, this doesnt happen that often.

Yea I used my I5 on last bands snare i recorded.

But honestly I also like a 57 on snare also and I'm sure others here do as well so i thought i would share something cool that could be made. Specially if you have had a drummer bash one of your Mic's.

I will post some pics when i get one built myself.......

On the note of making the drummer or band pay for it mmmmmmm....
Not sure how i would handle that. Luckily it was our drummer that killed mine and honestly I could not hold it against him. He was by no means trying to break my mic and I think 99% of the time its an accident on the drummers part live or in the studio. Maybe make them pay half if anything. :Smug: