self-produced/mastered band tracks - melodic metal

TranquilityCBS

New Metal Member
May 31, 2010
Howdy

I really hope anyone can lend ears and give a few pointers!

I've been producing our album over the last few months and it's dangerously close to being finalized (Funny story, in fact it's going into printing in less than 24 hours :lol: ). It sounds good I think, but I think my judgment isn't so great anymore after +/- 10,000 listens if you know what I mean.

I'm honestly not that great a producer, I do everything by ear. I'm worried about the kick EQ/volume specifically, as I can't hear it well on some sound systems. It sounds great on one sound system and crap on others. The guitar tone is certainly not mind blowing but I've improved it a hell of alot from its original state.

It's kinda in the mastering phase, but I am still able to change individual channels with relative ease. The dominant channels are Kick, Snare, Toms (One channel at this point), hihats, overheads excl ride+hat, ride, rhythm guitars (one channel), lead guitars (one channel), guitar solos (multiple channels), bass, and vocals. There are quite a lot of misc channels with choirs and orchestras, etc.

Any feedback on individual channel EQ/levels, or master mix EQ/levels, or anything really, are very much invited and welcome, and would be very highly appreciated!

Just ask if you need any further info :)

I've uploaded two of the tracks. 320 kbps:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4145235/cbs2.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4145235/cbs3.mp3

Thanks so much for your time! :kickass:

Wow, as far as the mix it could use a hell of alot of work, but the musical quality, it sounds like the best of black metal. Good work.

Yeah there are too many problems to mention, but I'll try and name a few!

Vocals are slightly too harsh, and too loud...

The rest of the track works with itself.. but the kicks need to be louder..

If you sort the vocals and kicks, you'll have a mix that will work with itself imo..

Best of luck,

Joe