Selling my album collection

The reality of art, mass art anyway, is that there is necessarily a mechanism of mass production and is therefore within the realm of discussing the "owning" of the rights of the work. I also don't think that we'll ever see the day that music becomes institutionally digitized and distributed free of charge, but that's neither here nor there.

I do and I think the move towards digitizing has already begun as the music industry shifts to selling mp3s online, probably as a reaction to people simply taking their music for free by download. This process of digitization seems to be inexorably moving forward, we'll see over the next few years what that means. What will be interesting to see is how long people continue to pay for something they can get for free and if that will generally collapse the music "industry" as we know it. A niche community like this will be less effected, but the mainstream will likely see massive changes within the next decade. I disagree with the premise that there need be an "inherent consumerist mechanism of mass production" and that the digital age will lead to the scenario I outlined earlier in some less ideal form.

Anyhow, I'm not interested enough to carry this discussion forward into the detail we're heading so we should probably agree to disagree. I'll look into the work you recommended.

I've tried to lay out some of the key points that I would like to elaborate on eventually, but I would like you to elaborate upon what you mean when you say that, while you can purchase the right to listen to a piece of music, for example, you cannot ever relinquish that right. It seems to me intuitively obvious that if the right in itself is not inherent but that it can be gained, that it would, in this instance, necessarily also be subject to loss.

have you ever considered a career writing eulas for microsoft

next thing you'll probably be referring to music as "content"

have you ever considered a career writing eulas for microsoft

next thing you'll probably be referring to music as "content"

Depending on the context of the conversation that's a legitimate signifier, so there's nothing for you to whine about here.

What will be interesting to see is how long people continue to pay for something they can get for free and if that will generally collapse the music "industry" as we know it. A niche community like this will be less effected, but the mainstream will likely see massive changes within the next decade.

the music industry as we know it is in its death throes--essentially clinging to a long-standing business model that is being strangled by the ease of availability and changing means of communication and distribution brought about by the internet. by lobbying for restrictive copyright legislation like the DMCA and suing their customers they're like jerry at a gay pride parade, squeezing their eyes shut with their fingers in their ears while shit moves further and further past them. it only serves to alienate the public--bad move. there's no question they can't continue the standard operating procedure of the past half-century, just take a look at their precipitously declining record sales.

the important question to me is, will the more "ground-up" system of distributing music via the internet result in a renewed focus on local or regional artists? i hope the answer is yes. perhaps as music becomes a less tangible product, audiences looking for a more tangible experience will turn to support more local and "underground" artists instead of being spoon-fed crap from movies and video games--who gives a shit about owning the newest coldplay album when you hear it everywhere, but that local band's 7" is a different story. of course as metalheads we're all pretty familiar with that.

opeth17, take cynic focus off reserve.

instead, save me butchered at birth and eaten back to life. cheers.