Senseless lyrics

Life Sucks said:
I hate any lyrics about love, relationships, or anything of that sort.

I couldn't agree more. Leave the whinning and lifetime-channel cheeze to the Nu Metal bands, and femi-nazi bands like Wilson Phillips.

Well fuck you if you dont like doom :)

Mayhem does some hilarious lyrics:

3. Chainsaw Gutsfuck

Bleed down to the fucking core
You're going down for fucking more
Screw your slimy guts
Driving me fucking nuts!

Chainsaw in my bleeding hands
As I start to cut you in two
Your guts are steaming out
And I just love the sight!

Maggots crawling in her cunt
I just love to lick that shit
Bury you in a slimy grave
You will rot forever there!

I submit the following as an example of how stacking big words on top of each other with minimal grasp of English results in a jumbled mess of utter nonsense:

Night in Gales - Avoid Secret Vanity
a limitation to utilization,
my vanish is desenvated by semblance of banish,
struggle for fatal strength shall rise
my vanity is just usurpation through violation,
concealed to descent, it's my time,
flying through born horizons, bells chime,
born in flesh, pray for mystery, it's the revelation,
my throne of elevation...

you my god - the life gets my thoughts,
you my god - give me reincarnation,
you my god - take me to the garden of origin,
you my god - of upcoming downfall...

with my hands I can feel eternity,
went to empty skies to assume history of eternity,
made this part consumed genocide, mightiest apocalypse rise!
sound of invisible time, sing last souls' songs!
get the speech of my repertory...
I come to live, avoid secret vanity,
just heard the burden of wrath,
colours of selection to renew,
struggle for fatal strength shall rise
my vanity is just usurpation through violation.

Metal's biggest weakness is the lyrics.

We have-
D and D -"power metal"
the "we are dark and evil" -see black metal, etc
Horror/gore lyrics-see cannibal corpse

Few metal bands have REALLY thought provoking lyrics..we need to change that!
We must all form metal bands and write good lyrics!

MightyDrynwhyl said:
hmm, i think just about every single power metal band has bad lyrics, i saw hammerfall on headbangers ball and i just laughed my ass off at how stupid they were, though they do make top notch music

The video for the song Renegade is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, I almost fell out of my chair laughing...

Most bands that have fuck all meaning to their lyrics I dont listen too, not like you can hear the lyrics anyway, the majority of bands is just "gwarwarwarwarawrawrawr" to me now.

Metallica for one, usually lacked in the lyrics department, bar a few songs like Fade to Black and Ride the Lightning and such.. that actually create the atmosphere that resembles the songs... singing about necrophilia or chainsaw gutfucks is just... well... pointless and sad in reality.

Yesm, Lord Worm did gore lyrics quite well.

'Those that are left, of God bereft,
run amongst heads suspended by threads.'

hehe =)

I know gore lyrics are pretty naff most of the time, but I enjoy it when a band writes original gore lyrics, like situations you never thought of and stuff. Broken Hope are ace for that...

Translucence : an image-obsessed girl who starves herself to be thin...she becomes so anorexic that she starts to literally see through herself and die. awesome =)

Auction of the Dead : a trading market for bodies and flesh.

RazorCunt : kinda self-explanatory...a guy fucks a girl who's vagina is filled with razors. NASTY. =/

Chewed To Stubs : a guy, alone in a dark cell with no food. You can guess the rest. ;o)

Siamese Screams : siamese twins grow to hate life and kill themselves trying to hack eachother apart...

They've got really good ideas for gore lyrics, that's all.

I've come to the conclusion that anything in death metal outside the music itself, is horribly stagnant and pathetic.This includes names, lyrics, image, album titles etc.

What makes you think it's not the music too?

No really, that's too much of a generalization. There's plenty of non-musical facets that are far from stagnant in death metal. Especially lyrics.

C-Taylor said:
Most bands that have fuck all meaning to their lyrics I dont listen too, not like you can hear the lyrics anyway, the majority of bands is just "gwarwarwarwarawrawrawr" to me now.

Metallica for one, usually lacked in the lyrics department, bar a few songs like Fade to Black and Ride the Lightning and such.. that actually create the atmosphere that resembles the songs... singing about necrophilia or chainsaw gutfucks is just... well... pointless and sad in reality.
I disagree. I think that Metallica's lyrics were always decent at worst.. They were (note - I stress "were") VERY fitting to their thrashy style.. Listen to ...And Justice For All, man, it's VERY political and.. well, somewhat articulate. Much better than others.. Puppets also had some awesome stuff on it (Disposable Heroes, MoP..).. Now, ever since Black they've "grown up" - and started writing some stuff that.. was more mature, maybe, but not necessarily always in a good way (I still think that ...Justice was their best lyrically-motivating shit ever)..

Now, St. Anger isn't as good lyrics-wise - simply because they didn't take time to write songs... "saint anger out of my head... doesn't get respect.. fuck it all and no regrets" - sounds like they were just jamming and writing shit down as they were.. That's how they wrote the whole fucking album - minimal effort, to make it sound more "pure" - which it obviously didn't..

(PS. - I don't really think that Fade to Black is that awesome lyrically.. It's hard to explain, really.. It's melancholic, yes, but I sense some unnecessary straight-forwardness in it that borders on awkwardness.. "I have lost the will to live" - eh.. I think they had better stuff - but it's only my humble opinion..)

As far as all metal lyrics go - well, first of all, most of the artists and groups in my CD collection come from outside of English-speaking countries.. And while there's a serious emphasis on English in Scandinavian (especially) and Western European countries, they're still not completely fluent in it... And it shows.. Not to mention that English isn't as naturally beautiful of a language as, say, Russian.. I mean, it's very poetic (there's some nice poetry) - but not at all that musical (not many good lyrics).. A lot of really good bands over the years really struggled in this department.. I love to use Deep Purple's Smoke On the Water as an example.. It's a catchy tune - but lyrics are utter crap.. Guys like Bob Dylan are VERY few and far in between.. So, yeah, if ANY rock/metal band has above-average lyrics, it's a definite plus... But, you know, behind some of the grind you can't hear shit :).. So sometimes it just doesn't matter..

yeah man, english is a terribly un-musical language. it just doesn't have a natural romantic accent....it's spoken flatly in many dialects and when it's not (like broad scots) it just doesn't sound nice at all.

peeps choose english for lyrics for two reasons; commerciability and expression. if a band knows english fluently, then they have unparalleled scope for expression. it may not be a great sounding language, but english gives you more descriptive and rhetorical power than any other language i'd think.