Sepultura recording session

Genius Gone Insane said:
http://sepultura.uol.com.br/v6/en/pictures_album.php?id=229 There's a video clip available of Andreas recording guitar as well. The material sounds a little bit old school too ( :headbang: ) which would be pretty cool.

Yes sounds like the good ol' days, no bullshit just pure metal, it seems a mix between beneath the remains and chaos ad
For who has missed the video here's the link
Cool the new album is based on the "La Divina commedia" by Dante Alighieri (The Divine Comedy), a piece of literary art.

Maurizio

kaomao said:
Yes sounds like the good ol' days, no bullshit just pure metal, it seems a mix between beneath the remains and chaos ad

you can tell that from the video? they do have fast parts on their last albums too, you know ;) ...although i admit, the video looks promising, i'm looking forward to the album.

Is that a 414 on the snare in tandem with the 57? Nice.

I've been experimenting with an AT3035 on snare (with 10db pad, a windscreen, and a pencil taped down the front, with foam around the back and top) and it kills. Hopefully it won't kill the mic. It has a 158db max SPL with the pad engaged and that seems to be able to handle it (along with a pad on the mixer -- heh).

At any rate, I'm pointing it right at the shell about 4-5 inches away, and it does the job of both the top and bottom mic, but better... for me, anyway.

It's probably pretty risky depending on the mic, so I'm not sure that I'd really want recommend it. If you're brave and/or dumb, check your specs and cross your fingers.

I think the 414 has a -18db pad so it should be able to handle it, no sweat though. At least I'd hope so if they're using it like that.

edit: Yup, checked the spec sheet... 158db max SPL with the -18db pad. Sweet.

edit edit: Oh, and what's up with Igor's drumset? The toms?

black sugar said:
edit edit: Oh, and what's up with Igor's drumset? The toms?

They're set as a lot of drummers does, not angled.
drummers told me that way you can do faster rolls, if you think about Machine Head's drummer his toms are set in the same way, as for [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Mikkey[/font] Dee from Motorhead.

Maurizio

I think I was 15.. maybe 14.. and I saw Andreas get on top of an amp riser and tremolo pick his G string and rifle his fret hand *pinky* through all of the various pitches that you find amongst that path.. I loved it.

My fave Sep by far is Choas AD.. I can hum every primal melody on that disc in my head.

EtherForBreakfast said:
I think I was 15.. maybe 14.. and I saw Andreas get on top of an amp riser and tremolo pick his G string and rifle his fret hand *pinky* through all of the various pitches that you find amongst that path.. I loved it.

My fave Sep by far is Choas AD.. I can hum every primal melody on that disc in my head.

It's amazing how simple that album is yet how much it owns, every riff...Funny thing, looking back, remember how cutting edge the sound on Chaos AD was? Now it sounds...well, old I guess.

Every drummer plays their sets differently. I personally couldnt fucking stand to have to play on a kit setup like Igor's... with everything set so flat your angles have to change... like you need to raise your arms up to get a clean strike surface on his toms AND his cymbals... I've played leveled toms, but with them set almost to the same level as the snare... and that's a comfortable, easy approach.. with that much higher.. I couldnt do it... and that china set flat, and the ride being sooooo low... but, everybody's comfortable their own way...

Marco Minnemann plays with his toms "out of order"... I hate that shit, but he's fucking amazing and he plays that weird setup... and a lot of people dont like Thomas Lang's but, I dont mind is arrangement, myself...

I used to move my main hi-hat leg inside of my secondary bass pedal... Olli from Lords of Acid jammed on my kit when set that way, and thought it was actually kind of cool.. and Vince from Steel Prophet just tripped about how weird it was to him... so... everyone's got their shit, I guess.

J