SERENITY: Codex Atlanticus

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
SERENITY UNVEIL NEW ALBUM DETAILS, TOUR PLANS WITH XANDRIA

"...Serenity doesn’t just simply release an album, the symphonic metal giants invite their audience on truly epic journeys. Codex Atlanticus – their fifth album – boasts with thrilling storytelling about art and science.

Leonardo Da Vinci is the center of attention here, but lovers of conspiracy theories, Illuminati and so forth will also rejoice when mastermind Georg Neuhauser gives free rein to his compositional genius. This album is full of monumental, movie score-ish orchestral arrangements mean riffing and lush melodies. The album will be released on January 29th via Napalm Records.

The band commented: “After three months of hard work, 150 unhealthy McDonalds meals and 200 bottles of Jägermeister, we're done - Opus finitum est - our 5th fulll length album Codex Atlanticus is ready to conquer the universe! Inspired by the life of Leonardo Da Vinci we created a bombastic album with melodies that can easily fit as a soundtrack for Game of Thrones!”..."

1serenityalbumoct.jpg

I don't think you'll find too many here agreeing with you on that. For me Death and Legacy is their high water mark, but they have no bad output.

LOL, I majored in history so I LOVED the last two albums. But I liked the first two releases a lot as well. I suspect I will be very easy to satisfy when it comes to their upcoming album.

I don't think you'll find too many here agreeing with you on that. For me Death and Legacy is their high water mark, but they have no bad output.

Completely agree. I actually listened to Death and Legacy today. While the last album wasn't my favorite, I have no doubt I'll like anything they put out.

I don't know, I will buy some of that. Don't get me wrong, I like all their albums, but those first two are my favorite. They had this more straight-forward melodic quality I had not heard since early Sonata Arctica. Then they went full Kamelot, while still enjoyable some of the melodies started to suffer under the wight of all the symphonic elements. Kinda splitting hairs, but I find myself going back to the first two more than anything.

Their album Fallen Sanctuary is awesome, but it was downhill from there. They got too histrionic for their own good.

I agree, Fallen Sanctuary had the best collection of over all songs in my opinion. While the subsequent albums were good they just were not the total package that Fallen Sanctuary was in my opinion... that said, I would LOVE to see them back at PP.

I'm just now realizing that I'm apparently the only one who thought War of Ages was amazing and a huge step forward. Their early stuff was good power metal, but War of Ages was really a next level piece of work, and I'm very pumped to see them go further down that road musically. I've been wondering for a while if they were up to anything, happy to find out that new music is so close.

I don't know, I will buy some of that. Don't get me wrong, I like all their albums, but those first two are my favorite. They had this more straight-forward melodic quality I had not heard since early Sonata Arctica. Then they went full Kamelot, while still enjoyable some of the melodies started to suffer under the wight of all the symphonic elements. Kinda splitting hairs, but I find myself going back to the first two more than anything.

I feel more or less the same way about Serenity as you do, you're not alone... :heh:

My fave Kamelot disc is also Dominion.... :kickass:

Serenity released a lyric video for their first song from the upcoming new album. I would love to see them in the U.S. again. They were great at ProgPower USA XIII.

some parts did sound really phoned in, but it is still ok. Their meh is still pretty good.