Serious Suggestions on Bela Bartok

Autumn Falls

Ace Harding, P.I.
Jul 9, 2001
Denton, TX
www.flickr.com
Hey guys-

Well I wanted to stop buying cds so I could save up for a new ax and while it's fine.. I decided to write an essay/project for US History on who is the most important person for the twentieth century in terms of influence and he had to be from around 1900-1930... so I chose Bartok.. I've heard he's quite the genius but don't know anythng of him..

Is there any seriously classically inclined dudes here who can make some intelligent suggestions? If so please do..

Also if you don't mind please suggest any other composers and recordings you absolutely love.. thanks!

Brandon

Check out Mikrokosmos - Six dances in bulgarian rhythm... I studied Bartok a while ago, there is a really great peice in Mikrokosmos, but it slips my mind which movement of 'Six dances' it was... just try and find the whole thing somewhere (audiogalaxy has a few clips i think).

Check out http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/bartok.html for more info.

Hmm... it's arguable that you chose Bartok as the most influential figure from the beginning of last century. Stravinsky and Schoenberg are probably more influential.

As for recommendations, well, I haven't heard that much - "Allegro Barbaro" is his signature piece, and the whole "Mikrokosmos" cycle is right up there, and I haven't heard any other pieces I'm afraid.

Go to allclassical.com for more info on significant pieces.

D Mullholand

There's actually a very interesting article in Progression Magazine #37 (the one with Ozric Tentacles on the cover) about Bartok's music and life. Apparantely he had a deep interest in Hungarian folk music and wanted to incorporate this into his compositions. He went across Hungary searching for pure folk music to transcribe. He used some of this in his music.
I only have Piano Concerto No.2, and Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 1, so my knowledge of his music is fairly limited, but I can tell you that Bartok had an influence on Robert Fripp's guitar style, so I guess you could say that Bartok also had an impact on Opeth as King Crimson are an influence on Mikael.
Hopefully this information is what you are looking for.