Seriously? Crustcore?

Crustcore is NOT metal....It is hardcore punk. The genre sucks, and one needs a gas mask with an extra cartridge or two and an oxygen tank just to SEE a crustcore show. Even then, you may need a barf bag for what you may see.

Best to just steer clear of these low lifes.

I enjoy going to crusty punk shows more than metal shows. No light shows, no smoke machines, no goofy "leave the stage then come back" encore ritual, no backing tapes, no stage costumes... no pretentiousness at all. Just bands and music. The problem is half the bands can't play to save their lives, and most of the rest sound identical.

Yes, the crowd is kind of whiffy, but it's refreshing to be around people who didn't dress up to go to a concert.

And Napalm Death rules, even if they do the metal concert schtick. At least Barney just talks between songs instead of doing funny voices and goofy segues. :)

Give me power and prog styled music with a crusty production and performance ethic and I'd be one happy camper.

Jim,
Thank you very much.
I have read a ton of the stereotypical prog metal eliteness shine through on this thread.

Sure, maybe their fans are a bit obnoxious, but many of these crustcore bands have a lot more integrity than many prog and metal bands do.

I enjoy going to crusty punk shows more than metal shows. No light shows, no smoke machines, no goofy "leave the stage then come back" encore ritual, no backing tapes, no stage costumes... no pretentiousness at all. Just bands and music. The problem is half the bands can't play to save their lives, and most of the rest sound identical.

Yes, the crowd is kind of whiffy, but it's refreshing to be around people who didn't dress up to go to a concert.
So you prefer crust shows, even though the bands suck and the crowds reek, just to avoid a bit of pretentious behavior? Call me crazy, but I'll take a band who can play and a crowd that bathes regularly... even if I have to deal with a few minutes of boredom while the band the band departs the stage, before returning for the encore.

By the way... have you checked out a band called Antigama? Not sure where along the Crust / Grind spectrum they fall, but they are some serious players.

Zod