Seriously, what the hell happened to this band?

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
John's cover thread made me think about it again. What these guys became is one of the saddest stories in the history of metal if you ask me.

I miss this band:

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware the beast of man, for he is the devil's pawn!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9T84ojsvN8&feature=related[/ame]
(the best audio quality I could find of Johan-era AE)

I gotta be honest I still dig In Flames even now. I've come to appreciate them for what they are, just a modern rock/melodic metal-ish band. Of course from the start to Clayman is the absolute fucking shit but I still listen to Soundtrack occasionally for kicks and some of the cooler songs on it. Flame away good sirs.

I still remember hearing those 'reroute to remain' leaked tracks and seeing pictures of them in these white jumpsuits and being like "Oh...fuck me"...but as much as I wish that I could personally change part of their current direction, they still do rock in a different way. The records (minus Reroute) aren't as solid and quality as the Clayman and back, and definitely not as strong or metal, but they have their own moments that are really good.

One of the worst tracks of their career "The chosen pessimist" has turned out to be one of my favorites on the newest record. It's like a post rock song turned into melodic deep metal. It's got a good emotion to it.

But in pure honesty...if they really went back to their metal roots and put out a real metal record like they used to do, even if it's for a 'break' or 'change' from their current identity, I'd be the first one stoked. I don't mean some half assed mnemic, fear factory worship Soilwork is calling "their roots" nowadays...we're talking the whole 9 yards.

It's like what Machine Head did in 2003 when they recorded 'through the ashes of empires'...there was still alot of nu metal, experimental 'Supercharger'ness to the record, but it was obvious they reawoke to real actual metal riffing again. Like thrash metal, not korn.

The 90's was the greatest decade for all rock/heavy music, period. The underground was still underground and it was fresh and exciting, while even the Billboard charts were full of awesome bands. I remember when Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Megadeth, Pearl Jam, Metallica, and others were putting out radio-friendly music that was still original, interesting, and ass-kicking.

Used to be a massive fan of IN FLAMES from their debut EP all the way to "Clayman" then after that each successive release made me less interested and eventually more embarrised for them. Sad indeed.
I used to think they were always one step above DARK TRANQUILITY but i take that back now because DT still have a lot more cred and their last few albums i think are some of their best.:headbang:

I actually like Angela's vocals better but the music is much worse now (seriously the old vocals were pretty bad, only a few times were they powerful but most of the time they sounded really monotone and hollow). Back when they were tuned in B and were writing dark and brutal melodic death metal it was great, now it feels almost poppy and more like speed metal with screams and some melodies which sound really happy. The melodies back then were still melodies and epic like in Bridge of Destiny yet they were dark enough where it didn't sound dumb; from Black Earth up until Wages they were fucking amazing (especially the solos and melodies, fucking out of this world).

Also I heard the other day about Jesper leaving In Flames, is that for good? I can't imagine them without him so I'm really curious to hear a new album from them (haven't even heard anything about them even starting to write it but I already imagine it will be shit).

It's not all bad news though, I heard a new sample of a Children of Bodom sound and it sounds like their new album is going to kick ass; it reminded me of Follow the Reaper and HCDR with a bit of their new influence, I know CoB is loathed around here but I'm extremely excited for the new album even if the song titles are so stupid it's painful.