Set list from the Scandinavian tour?

Thanks for the awesome gig in Helsinki!

Strange that no-one has mentioned the awesome incident that happened during one of the Åkerfeldt's speeches in-between songs. Some dudes in the audience had been yelling for certain songs during the whole gig, and Åke had been telling them to shut up. This time, though, the yells got even louder and after a few second's pause Åke apologized and tried to explain that they didn't have time to play them fully. He then asked if the audience would want to hear a short clip from the song, and they then went on and played beginnings from 5 songs. :headbang:

They each lasted for about 1-2 minutes and after each one Åkerfeldt just said "NEXT!" (some times he even tried to get the audience to yell the next song during a previous song, to continue from there as a medley)

Any way, it was a great experience and I even got to hear some of my favourite songs that weren't on the setlist itself. Some of the audience obviously didn't like that their favourite songs were cut in half (or even more), but I thought that it was a brilliant idea and showed off the great musicianship of the band.

Full setlist from Helsinki:
Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
Black Rose Immortal / Bleak / Burden / The Drapery Falls / Master's Apprentices "Medley"
The Night And the Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
----------
Deliverance

Åke lol

Yeah that was the setlist in Malmö. Call me a negative nancy, but it's a terrible setlist and that was the worst Opeth show I've seen so far. Really boring crowd.

This setlist was better than the one they did at the end of last year in my opinion.

I just came back from Linköping and yes they played the same setlist as the Finland shows.

Can't understand how someone can call the setlist terrible. It isn't.

To be fair, I've just seen Opeth too many times and seen them play many of those songs live already so I just wanted something new. I guess it's an okay setlist objectively speaking, but still it could have been better. The songs they played that I hadn't seen before are just not that special I think.

I wish I had not seen Opeth live so many times because it's really losing its magic now :loco:

Here's the review of the Malmö gig that I wrote for The Shattered Room (shattered-room.net):

Superconcert !!! These guys are really, I mean really, among the best.

No accessories - no lightshow, movies, costumes etc. - just the five guys in their jeans or whatever playing their Paul Reed Smith guitars and stuff.

Mike midfront, discreetly eying his gang, modest as ever, but fully present and balanced.

I'v rarely experienced musicians so serious and into their music. There's a lot of riff repetition in their music, and many lesser musicians would lose concentration, but the Opeth guys use it to build up intensity.

What struck me is that Opeth have developed from kinda Mike with backing to a fiveband of equals, all fabulous musicians. Mike introduced Fredrik as the lead guitarist, which is very true, as Mike played mainly the basic riffs, while Fredrik let loose on the solos.

Mike is very comfortable in all singing styles, and when he growls, he doesnt make a show of it, instead it becomes just as natural as his midrange clean singing.

They played most songs from Watershed, except Burden, which I missed very much; I would'v liked to hear how that remarkable closing duel had developed since studio times.

My companion at the gig is an excellent voluntary sound technician, and he complained about the sound, and he was probably right about that; but to me it was secondary, as the intensity of the music burned thru to me.

OK, the balance of instruments could'v been better; the bass was too loud, and the keyboards were only really heard at the beginning and ending of songs, with an occasional midway passage, but hey, don't the keyboards always get drowned in metal concerts ?

Otoh it was fascinating to see Martin Mendez do his bass. A relatively small guy with an enormous instrument, his right-hand fingers literally danced over the fretboard. How it was decided which finger actually struck at a given moment remains obscure to me.

Martin Axe was awesome too, and his drumming actually quite clear - one'o'm best around.

There were some funny moments too: The guys were on home turf (Sweden), and in the beginning of the concert, Mike said "I aint gonna speak fuckin English here. Learn Swedish !" and from then on he spoke only Swedish, also shootin off some Stockholm colloquialisms that I couldnt always catch. Well, cool guy at any rate. (Just like with women: You dont actually need to understand'm .....)

They played one extra, Deliverance, and that sure was the culmination of the gig. That terrific closing coda sent everybody over the moon.

So we went out into the cold Swedish winter night with some heck of a musical experience warming us inside.

From what Mike said, they're going to play The Moor, Karma, Harlequin, and Burden for the NA tour. Guess that means that Godhead's Lament will probably be dropped for The Moor, and Credence will be dropped for Burden?

Maybe I wouldn't mind him dropping TLE for Karma.

He keeps changing his mind about that all the time, don´t be too sure about it. He told me that he would probably think about setlists for the rest of the tour after G.O.M. in Umeå (great festival where bands like Nifelheim, Graveyard and Danko Jones are giving Opeth company, I saw someone complain about Danko above, and I can only feel sorry for that person whom does not allow some devilish rock´n roll in his life).

Also, sometimes setlists are up quicker at
http://www.metalsetlists.com than at fanforums,
as people like me don´t hang here too often, as we
prefer to have the ability to talk about different
bands at the same time.

This is how it went:

Heir Apparent
Ghost Of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
The Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
Night And The Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
-----------------------------
Deliverance

That is a sick set. I would love to hear credence and godhead's lament.

I was in Moscow and Saint-Petersubrg shows... man, they have to take "Closure" in every set. It's just... damn, I almost pissed myself in an euphoria.
And "Deliverance" as a encore... I even haven't missed "Demon of the Fall". "Deliverance" just... slayed the audience.
But "Godhead's Lament" sucks live, it's a fact.

But "Godhead's Lament" sucks live, it's a fact.

Godhead's Lament was my favourite song when i saw Opeth in December :p
The "Thought I could not leave this place on this imminent day"-part made me jizz my pants.

Agreeing with you otherwise, Deliverance is the perfect encore.

Örebro show was great. Went over by car from Stockholm since the close-up boat is gay in so many ways.

Club 700 was a great venue, GREAT sound and a lot of space. Crowd was small, but I couldnt care less about that. Performance was near flawless and the setlist was very cool, eventho I missed some über-rare songs. A lot of favorites in it still.

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
The Night And the Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
-------------------
Deliverance

Yet again. Mike was also jamming a bit of camels "lady fantasy" upon request, even including some vocals, hah! I wanted them to blast straight into "Karma" from Credence, too bad they didnt. But, as I saw someone else mention, Hessian was one of the best parts of the set. Rather epic set actually. Mendez bass-solo during his presentation was sweet and un-distorted this time as well. That's about it. My 15th Opeth show.