Setting the threshold on a noise gate?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
I was wondering, what is the proper way to determine where to set the threshold on a noise gate?

depends on what you want it to do.

usually I start with the shortest possible attack and release times to set the threshold.
so that it lets the softest hit through (I don't like automating gates, I use a time-advanced trigger track to controll it via sidechain).
after it's set so that it JUST let's the softest hit pass I'll adjust the release to my liking.

the soft drum hits for example

Ok.

Lol, I actually screwed up. I meant to ask about the decay and not the threshold...:D

I have the decay set on my noise gate at 0%. How will setting it higher affect the way the gate operates?

Ok.

Lol, I actually screwed up. I meant to ask about the decay and not the threshold...:D

I have the decay set on my noise gate at 0%. How will setting it higher affect the way the gate operates?

"decay"? is that what's usually called the "release" or the "hold"?
release I guess? well, in that case I'd say....
depends.
kick? snare? vocals? fast playing? many other stuff going on? desired tightness? etc

"decay"? is that what's usually called the "release" or the "hold"?
release I guess? well, in that case I'd say....
depends.
kick? snare? vocals? fast playing? many other stuff going on? desired tightness? etc

Guitar, slow, doom, sustain, chug.

Definitely not djent or the "modern metal" sound.

Well the gate I need to quite the hum/static sound.

Still, edit it by hand. A gate is just an easy way around editing. It just edits out everything under certain threshold and the other controls determine how quickly it does that I guess you could say.

Threshold: When the input goes under your set threshold, the gate will start to close.
Hold: Amount of time the gate stays open before fading closed.
Release: The fade-out time for the gate to close.
Attack: The fade-in for the gate to open.

gateb.png

Still, edit it by hand. A gate is just an easy way around editing. It just edits out everything under certain threshold and the other controls determine how quickly it does that I guess you could say.

Threshold: When the input goes under your set threshold, the gate will start to close.
Hold: Amount of time the gate stays open before fading closed.
Release: The fade-out time for the gate to close.
Attack: The fade-in for the gate to open.

gateb.png

I'm a little confused. How would you edit out static hum out of a guitar tone?

I'm a little confused. How would you edit out static hum out of a guitar tone?

You can't edit the static/hum out of the guitar while it's being played.

You can, however, edit it out of the pauses when the guitar is not being played. Just delete the space between notes and use short fades to keep it smooth. This is more precise and sounds more natural than using a noise gate.

Yeah, a noise gate doesn't do any kind of fancy frequency removal or anything like that, it just cuts anything under a certain dB level. The idea is to set the threshold a few dB above the idle hum of your guitar which I find is usually something like -50dB or around there.

doing it with a gate in a slooooooooooooow heavy mix will make you lose important stuff, unless you set up a perfectly programmed gate or something, so i think it's much better to dedicate that time to correctly edit the source and control everything. In my case, it takes a lot less time, and i'm a lot happier after. BTW, don't think of X-noisers and that kind of shit. Personal advice.

Why would you ever want to record with a noise gate?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1065508

Well here are two examples of a guitar recorded w/ and w/o a noise gate.

As you can here, the "nogate" track has a lot of buzz. So much so that it eventually overtakes the chord at the end of the clip.

The "withgate" clip, by contrast, sounds a lot more manageable.

As to why I wouldn't want to add a noise gate to my chain rather than go through the entire track and remove all the buzzing and hissing by hand seems like a little weird to me, not to mention time consuming.