Setting up files to send for mixing...

neverpurify

May 24, 2004
I am thinking about hiring someone to mix a few songs for me in the near future. I know I should ask the person doing the mixing what they prefer but what should I generally do to prepare the files? I use Cubase SX3. Should I export that files and burn them to dvd? What about the VST instruments that I use? Will I need to get those as close as possible to what I want and then export to audio? Just curious how this general works when working with someone long distance.

i get stuff from different people all the time to mix, and all i ask is:

all files starting at zero (if the person who tracked the stuff is using anything other than nuendo/cubase) so that everything will lineup in my DAW correctly.

all edits, crossfades and whatnot consolidated and bounced to one track per instrument or part or whatever

burning stuff on DVD has always worked well for me..

as for your VST instruments just bounce them like you would anything else, as long as the actual sound of whatever 'instrument' your going for is there. the rest is up to the mix engineer (as far as eq, comp, effects, etc).

Keep all the songs in seperate "project" folders - that way you can just drag a folder onto the DVD and burn, and the ME will get all the songs audio files as well as the project file and any other random files in one folder.

Also, remember to go into Media and delete unused media! You don't need space wasted by crappy takes that aren't used in the project!

Thanks guys. The thread the other day about mixing rates got me thinking that it's about time to have someone that knows what's going to mix some songs for me so I can hear the stuff done right.

Oh and the chick in my avatar is actually someone I know personally but don't tell my wife:saint:

Close to 80% of my work comes from other studios whether it be for mixing/editing/or more production, so here's my suggestions as someone who has seem everything from perfect sessions to unbelievably awful.

1. LABEL ALL TRACKS AND AUDIO FILES!!!!! I can't believe some people don't do this. Label all the tracks and make sure that all audio files have a name. IT's no good to me when I have to spend an hour figuring out what "audio 01_01 through audio 64_09" are.

2. Consolidate all tracks to bar 1. This will unsure that anyone can use the session on any daw. BUT Also save a session of unconsolidated in case you accidently miss a nasty edit. Also, export the tempo map as a midi file. This greatly helps too!

3. Make sure you print everything that has to be printed....VST instruments, SOUND SPECIFIC EQ AND COMPRESSION (like filtered loops or guitars....NOT MIX EQ/COMP), or anything else that direct affects the sound of something.

4. Add a text document with any notes, ideas, problems, or stuff that you think someone would like to know about the project. The best notes I ever got had a tempo map by bar, key changes, and then a breakdown of each section and what they were looking for.

Hope this helps.