Seven Witches concert almost turns to a fiasco...

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
I went to the SEVEN WITCHES concert at Crocodile Rock in Allentown, PA last night. It was billed as an all-ages show with free admission. The WITCHES were also shooting their DVD, 'Year of the Witch'. SEVEN WITCHES went on around 9pm. At 10pm, a club employee got on the microphone and informed the audience that anyone under 21 years of age had to exit the building. I could see Jack Frost [guitar] on the side of the stage having a tantrum. The majority of the audience was under 21 years of age. Jack ran out on the stage and started yelling, 'This is bullshit,' and had us break into a chant of 'bullshit.' A few kids left but the majority stayed. The band came back out and James Rivera [vocals] was cursing and saying how much bullshit it is that we are the children of metal and they want to take that away from us. James said 'Fucking stick around, I'm not making you go home.' Two or three songs later, security started walking through the audience and finding who was under 21 and telling them to get lost. I was there with my cousin. I am 19 and he is 17. We stayed no matter what. I look like I can pass for 21 so they didn't question me but they grabbed my cousin by the arm and told him he had to go. So I walked up to him and I was like, 'Come on, let's get out of this hellhole, fuck this security asshole.' As we were about to exit we looped around and blended into the back of the audience and nobody bothered as the rest of the concert. When we were leaving there was a large group of 20-25 kids on the side of the venue throwing snowballs and rocks at the building also yelling curses at the workers.

Overall it was a great show and the set list is as follows...

01. Dance With The Dead
02. Apocalyptic Dreams
03. Metal Tyrant
04. The Answer
05. Johnny
06. Can't Find Me Way
07. Incubus
08. Metal Asylum
09. Warmth of Winter
10. Camelot
11. Nature's Wrath
12. Cries of the Living
13. Passage To The Other Side
14. Mental Messiah (with a portion of JUDAS PRIEST's "Victim of Changes" inserted into the end of it with Rivera covering Rob Halford's infamous scream)

Now this was a free show so whatever. I wonder whats gonna happen when Overkill plays here in a few weeks. It's obviously not a free show. Are they gonna kick kids out who payed money for tickets?

This was a show I almost went to (mainly to see locals Ion Vein open) but I didn't as I got sick that night. I heard there were 50 people at the show in South Barrington, Il. Although that is a sad turnout, it's not surprising. I really don't see Seven Witches being a major draw.

That said, that situation sucks for you. But the problem is that all of these venues that these lower-tier Metal bands play are just glorified bars. All they want you in for a lot of the time is just to get loaded. So if you're under 21, you don't matter to the owners(s). That is just lame, especially since these places have enough time to make adjustments.

This show was actually pretty packed. There were maybe 200 people there from the start give or take a few. That is big for a Seven Witches show. They are not that well known yet and still growing as a band. I've seen them play to packed houses at festivals in the past but two years ago I saw Exit To Eternity, Zandelle, and Seven Witches at the Cricket Club in Irvington, NJ and there were maybe 20 people there the most.

They are power metal but in an original and crushing form. They don't really sound like any other bands that play power metal which is a good thing. Jack Frost is a great guitarist and you have the legend James Rivera (Helstar, Destiny's End) on the mic. Just check them out. Their first three albums have different singers but they seemed to have found their niche with James. All of their albums are good. the first one Second War In Heaven is a rarity. Good luck on finding that one. City of Lost Souls with Bobby Lucas on vocals is a classic. I would start with Passage To The Otherside which is their first album with James.

TheGraveDigger said:
They are power metal but in an original and crushing form. They don't really sound like any other bands that play power metal which is a good thing. Jack Frost is a great guitarist and you have the legend James Rivera (Helstar, Destiny's End) on the mic. Just check them out. Their first three albums have different singers but they seemed to have found their niche with James. All of their albums are good. the first one Second War In Heaven is a rarity. Good luck on finding that one. City of Lost Souls with Bobby Lucas on vocals is a classic. I would start with Passage To The Otherside which is their first album with James.

I will definetly be on the look out for the CD's on my next trip to CD store... :)

Having an age limit at shows is ridiculous. If they are worried about under age drinking which is why they set these bullshit age limitations they should just check ids at the beginning and give the ones who can drink a wristband or something.

TheGraveDigger said:

I picked up Passage a while back. Boring as hell IMO.

AngelWitch73 said:
Having an age limit at shows is ridiculous. If they are worried about under age drinking which is why they set these bullshit age limitations they should just check ids at the beginning and give the ones who can drink a wristband or something.

Of course, or at the bar wouldn't be a problem. F'kin anal attitude of these clubs. Of course, what me and my mates always used to do was buy a bottle of cider and get wasted before the show anyway :saint:

Very cool that the band stuck up for their fans. I'm surprised they drew such a young audience!