Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I love concept albums, but since none are straightforward reading, I assume most are interpreted slightly differently by each listener. I guess this is the way I interpret 7th Son...

SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON

ACT I

Moonchild:
A child is to be born that will possess the powers of second sight and the ability to heal - he will be the seventh son of a seventh son. Knowing that the child could grow to be either good or evil, the devil himself (Lucifer) doesn't want to take any chances and so tries to influence the pregnant mother to kill the yet unborn child. Furthermore, Lucifer puts them in a catch-22 situation, saying that if the boy one day kills himself then he will be damned, and if he doesn't then Lucifer will make his life a living hell.

"Kill him now and save the young ones, be the mother of a birth strangled babe"

Infinite Dreams:
The mother does not concede to the devil's sly tactics and gives birth to her baby boy. The boy grows to have dreams telling him of reincarnation and prophecies. He grows confused, knows that a war is building between good and evil and that he must choose a side. He refuses to believe in such tales, but deep down realizes that there are too many signs indicating that this is all to be true.

"You tell me you're an unbeliever, spiritualist? Well me I'm neither but wouldn't you like to know the truth....where would you end, in heaven or in hell?"

Can I Play with Madness?:
The boy has now grown to teenage years, reaching adolescence and wanting to know more about himself and the world around him. He goes to see a clairvoyant who sees the truth but refuses to share it, and upon insistence, let's out that the boy is to go to hell.

"Then he fixed me with a freezing glance and the hell fires raged in his eyes....your soul's gonna burn in the lake of fire"

The Evil that Men Do:
Having now accepted his destiny, he now understands his powers. And of course, the power of the second sight is a curse since all he understands now is the sickness of humanity. He wants to leave and be left alone.

"Circle of fire my baptism of joy at an end it seems. The seventh lamb slain, the book of life opens before me."

INTERLUDE

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
[This is the equivalent of a backdrop narration telling of the events thus far, almost splitting the story into two parts as if it were a theatrical interlude].
It is a time back when the six sons are awaiting the birth of their new brother, the seventh son. They know that he will be the chosen one, based on what the devil shared. The boy grows and they see his struggle to choose between good and evil, where both angels and demons try to influence him every step of the way. His life is filled with torment.

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman the seventh son, and he in turn of a seventh son. He has the power to heal, he has the gift of the second sight, he is the chosen one".

ACT II

The Prophecy:
Now a man, he is in control of his powers and foresees the destruction of his village. He tries to warn the people who in turn dimiss his warnings. They see him as an infidel, a heathen. They do not believe. The destruction and pain is sent from Lucifer, who watches in the wings. His guilt of knowing that everyone will die is overbearing, not knowing if they are to go to heaven, hell, or purgatory.

"I had their lives in my hands, their fate their fortunes in my visions, no one believed in my true prophecy and now it's too late"

The Clairvoyant:
He is grief stricken to the point of lunacy. His powers are running rampant, he is losing control. He sees everything, nobody listens, and he slowly falls into dementia. He insists that he will live again once he dies, but he cannot see his own fate in this current incarnation. This is an extension of his curse, not knowing when his own end will come.

"See the truth and see your lies, but for all his power couldn't foresee his own demise".

Only the Good Die Young:
He decides to take his own life and end the torment. He knows that if he kills himself, the heavens will not allow him to enter and he will be sent to hell. He doesn't care, he would rather be dead in hell than alive on earth. And of course as he kills himself, he knows that all the sickness of mankind will continue on forever whilst all of heaven's pawns sit idly by and watch the destruction. Of course, if he is reborn, he will only have to witness it all again.

"If I cancel tomorrow the undead will thank me today, fly in the face of your prophets I mock your morality plays".

"Some innocent pawn in an end game one more stalemate, is death another birthday?"

"Walking on water are miracles you can trust, measure your coffin does it measure up to your lust? So I think I'll leave you with your bishops and your guilt".

10/10 buy or die.

I've always prefered Somewhere in Time.

Caught somewhere in time having the greatest Maiden lead (it's also my fav song by them)

7th son is mandatory if you like Heavy though. Only The Prophecy is .. quite lower than the rest.

There are a few songs on this album that are cheese beyond cheese. But I really like the title track, and one other song, I think the Clairvoyant.

And now I take my leave of this thread, tootles. :wave:

Like I said, 10/10. It's really not up for debate - I'm just staing the facts. :)

"The Prophecy" is one of the most UNDERRATED Maiden songs evar. The medieval acoustic play between Smith and Murray at the end is bloody great.

Thanks for that interpretation dude, I appreciate you going through the effort of putting that together. That seems about right to me too, but honestly I haven't spent as much time working out all the concepts. When I was young, this was the album that put me off Maiden. I did okay w/ the changes present on SiT, but just thought this was total crap, aside from Moonchild. All the synths and the Can I Play With Madness stuff. I rediscovered the album several years later, and like it a lot these days, although it's still my least favorite of all the discs up through that time. I still can't stand "CIPWM". My favorite Maiden: It's tough but Powerslave gets the nod.

Yeah, I figured I'd spend a little time writing this up. There are many albums that warrant some summarized explanation.

Indeed, if anyone cares to tackle "Operation Mindcrime", be my guest.

Powerslave is also my favourite Maiden album, I actually would award them with several 10/10 scores, probably the only band in existence to have so many perfect albums.

I've been with them since the beginning, so for me you can call it sentimental scoring, but I'd give 10/10 scores to:

Iron Maiden
Killers
Number of the Beast
Powerslave
Live After Death
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Piece of Mind & Somewhere in Time would get 9/10.

The rest are up for debate and not worth as much thought/time as the 10/10's obviously.

Am I the only one getting goosebumps at this fucking Caught somewhere in time lead? Wasted years is poop compared to that .

matt99_crew said:
When I was young, this was the album that put me off Maiden. I did okay w/ the changes present on SiT, but just thought this was total crap, aside from Moonchild. All the synths....

By the way Matt, you are not the only one who thought like this when the album was first released. Feel free to read our review of this on our Maiden feature, we all pretty much felt some disdain towards the synths even on SiT....

i did not even know this was a concept album :erk:

all these years and I never really dug this one ...

Dev said:
I've always prefered Somewhere in Time.

Caught somewhere in time having the greatest Maiden lead (it's also my fav song by them)

7th son is mandatory if you like Heavy though. Only The Prophecy is .. quite lower than the rest.

On the contrary, 'tis one of the best on the album!
I heartily agree with you on Caught Somewhere In Time though :) I forced one of my friends to whistle that solo, whammy dives an' all :heh: :saint:

I never really saw much of the concept of Seventh Son, to me the only songs that were connected were the title track and The Clairvoyant. I must say, my mind is somewhat changed now!

And just to be awkward, I'll disagree with a 10/10 for Killers :p those 'meedly-meedly' style riffs don't quite cut it. 9/10 instead :saint:

I can't wait to see Maiden live sometime this year :headbang:

I think I have to out it on, too.

It's far from my Maiden favorite, though. The best they did was "Killers", in my opinion, with "Piece of Mind" close thereafter.

The search functionality returns............. :kickass:

BUMP.

Pleeeease somebody (MArkgugs) tell me that you have live video footage now from the Seventh Tour. It is one of the few things I want in life. Well, that and Bruce's first shows in Milan (whether fake or not).

I find this album to be a bit boring, it doesn't have any stand out/definitive tunes (yes I know) and I think the keyboards falsify the Maiden sound. It's a great concept album which works extremely well but it's just nopt Metal.

For me, personally MAIDEN went downhill after DI'ANNO left the band. The S/T and KILLERS rule! The S/T is one of the most influential metal albums of ALL-TIME.

7SOA7S was good stuff though.