Severed Savior – Servile Insurrection

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Severed Savior – Servile Insurrection
Willowtip Records – 25 Nov 2008
by Ryan Starr

61aau6FVsBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It’s been 5 long years since Brutality is Law, their debut full length, came out. By looking at their catalog, you would never know they’ve been around since ’99. I’m not exactly sure what to make of their lack of activity, certainly the lineup changes and fill in work for other bands has affected their writing. However Servile Insurrection is affected just barely by this. There are a couple re-recorded songs from their previous EPs, to include ‘Deadspeak’ and ‘Fecalphiliac’. The rest of the songs are brand new and show a more matured Severed Savior, though perhaps it’s not a ground breaking move.

Lately the trend for brutal death metal bands has been to move towards a more progressive style. And while progressive death metal has been around for quite some time, these brutal bands have put their own unique spin on things. Servile Insurrection may not be groundbreaking, but it’s a great illustration of where the death metal scene is going. The technicality is taken up a couple more notches, which I didn’t think was even possible when I was first discovering Severed Savior, pushing them and the scene to new heights. But what really makes this release different from their previous work is their use of melody. Severed Savior has finally learned that it’s ok to tone things down a bit which makes the listening experience a bit more satisfying.

Even though ’08 was a bad year for death metal, I think releases like this signify a change in the winds. Perhaps the next couple of years will be a bit more tolerable due to this stepping stone of stylistic changes.

Official Severed Savior Website
Official Severed Savior Myspace
Official Willowtip Records Website