Seymour Duncan Distortion vs. Alternative 8... any opinions?

If you want something similar to the JB, get a JB.

I was more than expecting you to say that. I think I'm probably just in the middle of a 'grass is greener' situation at the moment. I've got 2 new guitars that are quite different to my tried and true axes with JBs, both of which are roundies in the realm of a Les Paul. My new axes are an old LTD explorer with a lot of body mass which currently has an EMG-HZ4 set that aren't all that bad, and a Jackson Demmelition, with not a lot of body mass and EMGs.

I'll definitely try a JB in them both, and try and work from there. Thanks for all the help

From my experience the JB only works in fat mahogany body guitars... namely my buddy's Epiphone Les Paul and my JacksonStars NASL J1B (which is an all-mahogany neckthru archtop Soloist, only built for the Japanese market).

In all other guitars the JB is too thin and trebly for my taste with not enough "oompf", but in those two guitars it balances well and gives a very tight sound.

JB + alder body King V = bad idea IMO.
JB + LTD Explorer = could work out well, worth a try!

I've got a Schecter C1 with SD JB at the bridge and '59 at the neck. Never really enjoyed the feel the Schecter itself (got myself an ibanez s series for main use) but I miss the JB for sure. I'm personally partial to the EMG81 for rhythm and the JB for solos.

Haven't tried the JB on a higher gain amp though, so that could change things as well. What's your rig as a whole?

Not into super high output passives at all. They are all too extreme to me and don't make sense with modern amps, as JBroll said. Duncan Invaders were really useful pickups in the early 80s, not so much anymore.

If I want high output I also want a focused, pure tone without a bunch of hype. This is why it's all about EMG 85s for me, in both the bridge and neck position.

As for Seymours, I really like the JB/59 combo that Mike Amott has popularized.

Not into super high output passives at all. They are all too extreme to me and don't make sense with modern amps, as JBroll said. Duncan Invaders were really useful pickups in the early 80s, not so much anymore.

If I want high output I also want a focused, pure tone without a bunch of hype. This is why it's all about EMG 85s for me, in both the bridge and neck position.

As for Seymours, I really like the JB/59 combo that Mike Amott has popularized.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this high output passive argument. While it is true that you can take a low to medium output pickup and just crank the input gain on an amp to match the output of a high output pickup, I find that the structure of that gain changes completely as well as the articulation. Adding more gain to a medium output pickup does not sound nearly as good as a high output pickup, at least to my ears.

On a different note, in one of my guitars I have gone crazy with pickup testing. I first had an EMG 81/85 combo then switch to the following... an JB, then a Duncan Distortion, then a Dimazio D Activator, back to the JB and finally full circle to the Duncan Distortion which I definitely prefer out of the lot after recording clips side by side.

The tonality differs greatly between hot-wound and not-so-hot-wound pickups, but it's not an output thing so much as a voicing thing as far as I know.

Also, a lot more people than Amott popularized the JB/59 combo, but that's just a technicality. It's easily one of the most recognized pickup combos anywhere.

Jeff

Jb, Distortion, same shit different magnet. Pickup selection is critical in getting the most out of your rig, but its the guitars and amps themselves that dictate what your gonna need/like. When I was just using my v-amp pro it was all about output and cutting through the swap of shitty cardboard and fuzz. Dimebuckers/X2N's without tone knobs etc. Now I have a jsx and I can use whatever the hell I want, however setup I want. My best 'sounding' guitar to me is a mahogany body/maple neck custom/fullshred setup, vol 3way only. High output pickups mightn't be needed in this, the age of gain, but its not to say they aren't useful. The concensus here is that active pickups are the lore. Big output adds a gain stage thats fundamental imo for metal. If you want smooth clean sounds with that barely breakup when pushed, your needs shall differ, but its up to the guitar/amp what needs to be done.

I mentioned that the JB and Distortion differed only in magnets. I don't think the big output 'gain stage' is essential (first off, it isn't a gain stage, it's a different starting level), and even if it is we have plenty of clean boosts of various kinds.

Jeff

String would be the starting point, the active circuit is effectively a clean boost. A lot of options out there!

From my experience the JB only works in fat mahogany body guitars... namely my buddy's Epiphone Les Paul and my JacksonStars NASL J1B (which is an all-mahogany neckthru archtop Soloist, only built for the Japanese market).

In all other guitars the JB is too thin and trebly for my taste with not enough "oompf", but in those two guitars it balances well and gives a very tight sound.

JB + alder body King V = bad idea IMO.
JB + LTD Explorer = could work out well, worth a try!

The two guitars I currently have JBs in are both Mahogany and sound amazing, and super similar, so some variety might be swell. I've never liked active EMGs in my previous mahogany guitars, but I'll give them a try in my new Jackson, hopefully try out an 85 in the bridge too, cos I loved the 707 sound.

For whoever asked, my entire rig is a 6505 and a Framus Dragon cab, my JBs are in a Fernandes Ravelle Elite and a 2 pickup Dean Cadillac 1980 Reissue. fairly simple set up, SD-1 and an MXR Smart Gate.

I replaced the Duncan Distortion in my Jackson Dinky (which has an alder body) with a JB, just because I like the character of the alnico magnet more.

Compared to - let's say - my Les Paul, this definitely lacks some bass but hell, it cuts like a razor without being to annoying treble-wise. With a low b-tuning it's actually quite balanced.