In Flames - Reroute To Remain guitar sound

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I recently listened back to that album and I kind of really love the production (even if most people here will say it sounds harsh and digital). Tons of ideas, cutting strange drums (I can hear room mics in there, and probably the snare has a sample blended), agressive bass tone, great vocal production... but the thing I like the most about this album is the guitar tone !
Rythm tones (and probably lead tones too) sound like 5150 amps. Tons of low end (in the 90-100 area I guess), big cut around 500 Hz, no agressive high mids, and clear cutting top end.
It sounds like a great sound recorded from the amp, and then tons of EQ to shape the sound. The low end is big but quite controlled, I think they used something like a Distressor and/or a Fatso to get this organic and controlled sound in the low mids. What I like is that the guitars perfectly stick to the bass tone.
Do some of you have more info about what heads/cabs/mics/pres/compression... was used on this album ??

I know that recently Daniel Bergstrand has been using Royer mics for guitars (and maybe his old Neumann TLM193 ?). I think he likes to use several amps and cabs too, maybe a Mesa cab for the massive low/low mids thing and a Marshall for the clear top end.

i love reroute, for everything really, its a record that really stands out in my ears

Same here... it takes a few to get used to that album, but it's different, new, fresh and the sound just grows on you.
Let alone the songs.. damn, there is not one song on there i skip, love em all... easily my favorite in flames album, and top 5 of all time best albums.

now.. what i have done a while ago, and plan on doing on my new PC soon.. is trying to emulate that album.

A neat program like harbal or voxengo EQ curve can capture a EQ and paste it on top of your own sounds.
I have tried this with the guitars (captured guitar spectrum of "transparent" first few seconds).
I have captured the bass (again, the song "transparent" at 1:27 this time)..

So yeah.. try and capture the guitar sound on transparent.. check out the EQ spectrum so you can analyze it.. it's quite harsh but i think it sounds great.

I hate the production (especially guitars and drums (awful snare ...) ) from "Reroute To Remain" to "Come Clarity".

But I love the production on the new album (everything is awesome: grs, drs, bass, ...).

Sorry for being a bit off-topic :)

Someone already posted the pic of the RTR guitar sound spectrum on a forum somewhere, but I didn't keep it, I should now try to do the same. What I can notice easily is that the left guitar has a more cutting sound than the one on the right, which is thickier.

Someone already posted the pic of the RTR guitar sound spectrum on a forum somewhere, but I didn't keep it, I should now try to do the same. What I can notice easily is that the left guitar has a more cutting sound than the one on the right, which is thickier.

True.. which makes a nice stereo sounding pair of guitars in my ears.. i love it when musicians do that.

Black neon, I have yet to find the carbon copy EQ thing you've been talking about in CurveEQ. Would you be so kind to explain? I could go and printscreen but that would be a hassle to get it all right

Black neon, I have yet to find the carbon copy EQ thing you've been talking about in CurveEQ. Would you be so kind to explain? I could go and printscreen but that would be a hassle to get it all right

Capture the curve, save the curve. Apply the curve to the your own track with the matching function. I find the guitars pretty disgusting on that album lol :p (its the only in flames album I could say that about too!) I think the bass is pretty ugly to my ears, thats what mainly does it to me. I thought if dawn of a new day had the jester race sound it would be swell. Maybe I have listened to it enough in comparison to other albums hehe.

Reroute to Remain actually got me interested in In Flames again. I think the production is amazing. It's got a very modern/digital sound quality to it. I always argue with my guitarist over that production cause he hates it. I guess it really is a love it or hate type of production.

I have noticed that the snare/drums sound is almost identical to Darkane "Expanding Senses" which uncoincidentally were recorded at the same studio. I'm guessing the same samples were used.

I too would be interested to learn more about what was used to get their sounds!

Juhani from Dead Shape Figure used to play in this melodic death metal band called Overrun and they had this demo called Symbiosis and the guitar tone sounded a lot like In Flames. I can't remember the amp that he used, but I do remember that he used an EQ-setting that formed a pyramid/arrow up, so a lot of mids

I know alot of Danne's guitars are: booster pedal -> 5150 -> marshall gt75 -> TLM193 -> mic preamp-> gate. So that's probably a good starting point. He NEVER uses samples, though...., but he edit-replaces any weak hits.

Juhani from Dead Shape Figure used to play in this melodic death metal band called Overrun and they had this demo called Symbiosis and the guitar tone sounded a lot like In Flames. I can't remember the amp that he used, but I do remember that he used an EQ-setting that formed a pyramid/arrow up, so a lot of mids

Dead Shape Figure rules !