SF gig last night

Squeak

Photo Mistress
I don't have very much time to type, but the gig last night was kick ASS. Tapping The Vein are really nice people as is Paradise Lost. I really can't understand why everyone is so deadset against Paradise Lost! They did INCREDIBLY well last night and got a HUGE response from our crowd. I loved it. Yes, they are a bit different from how they used to be, but I still think they are a goooooood band. But then again, I may be (as well as the SF crowd) a bit more open-minded with my music. I'm just sorry that not many of you like the band. I think they'd be better to tour with a band like Sentenced instead of Opeth. Opeth, of course, was absolutely friggin' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! They played the same setlist as everyone has been posting. It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT and EXTREMELY overcrowded (I think there were about 675 people in there when you can only fit 450) and I got seriously crushed in the front, but hey, I lasted until about 2 minutes before the end of Demon of the Fall. :headbang: I got to meet SouvereignReaper finally and Triste, my new metal sister. It was too squishy to try to find anyone else. I'm about to drive to the Hollywood, Phoenix and Santa Ana shows now and I'm very, very sad that the Space Shuttle blew up this morning. I hope their souls rest peacefully. I will not be home to read or post until Tuesday night. Behave whil I'm gone, okay? :) OPETH FRIGGIN' RULES!

Originally posted by Squeak
It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT and EXTREMELY overcrowded (I think there were about 675 people in there when you can only fit 450) and I got seriously crushed in the front

Yeah I was up front also when Opeth started there performance but I had to move it was just so overly packed and there was so much pressure that at certain points I felt like I was suffocating and to top things off it was super hot just like Squeak mentioned.

I'm also another one that doesn't quite understand why Paradise Lost/Tapping The Vain were being received so bad at the other shows. I personally thought they were good and interesting, not really my style but they were good nonetheless.

I had to wait over two hours to get in the show, so I didn't see Paradise Lost. The security gave us the old "it's sold out! go home!" But we were vigilant, and remained. And finally they let us in about ten minutes before the show.

This show was one of the greatest experiences of my life, unfuckingbelievable! It only ties with very compassionate sex with a significant other.

I was in the front row, yes I managed to get there. But then again, I am a shorter person, and it wasn't that difficult for me. And damn! MY NECK! I can't turn it! And my voice... Anyway, the set list was fucking perfect. The sound was amazing, though some complained that bass was up and vocals low, I could not tell, they all seemed on a perfect scale, no body was drowning anybody out; but I think it was because I was in the front. Though it was indeed very cramped, it wasn't anything for me to worry too much about. Though I'm a smaller person (5'3"), I had enough space to headbang from my knees to my ass, but I think it was because of the angle. The cramped thing didn't really bother me I guess.

The real surprise came from the audience, I guess I'm ignorant, but I had no clue how many people liked Opeth like I do. Mikael even let us sing some verses ourselves once he realized we could sing them for him.

Man, the old skool shit was amazing. Advent was fucking awesome. The clean guitar effect at five minutes into the song was just mind blowing.

The show just made me a bigger fan and reinforced my love for their music. Goddamn these are passionate musicians! It just feels good to know there's a band out there where music is the number one thing they're about, and they do it not just well, but the best.

I guess I'll just reiterate what everyone else said...they were pretty much flawless. The sound was great (to be expected at the Pound). It was VERY overcrowded and hot (also to be expected there. I had 3 guys in leather jackets around me so that really didn't help but the security were good enough to throw out waters to the crowd and spray us down). PL were actually really good. They played about 5 songs from their newest album. TtV weren't bad either. All of the bands gave a solid performance. But of course Opeth took the cake. It was really awesome being able to hear the audience sing along with Mikael and a couple of times he just leaned away from the mic and let the audience do the singing. I guess my favorite part was Deliverace and A fair Judgment solos that were DEAD ON (*cream*). So yes, a wonderful night. And Squeak is da bomb! :D

Hey Dan remember me? I gave you a ride home after the show. We smoked a fat joint.

That show was so crowded it was insane... funny because I went to see NUCLEAR ASSAULT the following night and there was nobody there!

Time to get some rest...

hey triste were u near the front and to the right? nearest martin mendez? i distinctively remember a short black chick with dreads headbanging right behind me. and i had a leather jacket, but i took it off and left it on the crate in front of me cuz it was so goddamn hot. was that u? or am i mistaken?

What did everbody that attended this show think of the odd humor from the singer of Paradise Lost? It kind of cracked me up a bit towards the end of there set when he said " com'on lets see some break-dancing" and also when he said " lets here it for my homies Opeth" or something like that. Anyway I thought it was kind of hilarious.

Man what a great concert. I didn't even have aticket when I got there, but some cool guys from Seattle sold me an extra, and they even gave me a ride home. I was suprised, out of all the concerts I've ever been to, never before has the crowd been so friendly. Tapping the Vien was ok, and I liked PL but they went on too long. As for Opeth they were amazing. I somehow ended up right infront of Mikeal for the whole show. I even reached up and touched his and (as stupid and groupie as it is to do) between one of the songs. The concert was hot as hell, but they did pass out water, I left soaked in water and sweat, but it was worth it to be just feet from some of my favoirte musicians. The setlist was good too (though its hard for Opeth to have a bad one). I loved Advent, A Fair Judgement, Godheads Lement, Credence and Demon of the Fall is as good of a closer as any. Hey did anyone see that crazy guy crowd surf with the metal boots on? He was trying to kick everyone and was intentionaly trying to hurt people. It was pritty bad cuz 1/2 the audiece was pushing him forward to get him out of the way and the other half pushed him back to the crowd for the same reason.

Haha..i think i saw that guy. Was he wearing no shirt? If it was that guy he got raped by the security guards cuz one came over and was trying to push him down and then another came over to help and then they just picked em up and threw him off the stage.

hrmmm close i think ...I was trying not to pay attention but i think he said "I'm gonna try to break dance now" and this song is dedicated to my homies back in (name of his town that was really hard to hear)"
Those security guards have alot of fun getting to pull people out huh. I've seen the same crew at so many shows and they always seem to be dragging someone somewhere.

Originally posted by /Z/
hrmmm close i think ...I was trying not to pay attention but i think he said "I'm gonna try to break dance now" and this song is dedicated to my homies back in (name of his town that was really hard to hear)"
Those security guards have alot of fun getting to pull people out huh. I've seen the same crew at so many shows and they always seem to be dragging someone somewhere.

Insipid Productions always has the same security crew since they are employed by them. And since Insipid does shows at different venues, that's why you see them everywhere. :) I don't mind them dragging people out that are being assholes and hurting people, etc. I'd rather that then me or someone else getting really injured by these people (although I am a serious casualty of that night). They don't believe in BS and don't put up with any either.

Well I didn't say it was bad they were dragging people out..just interested its the same ones who I see doing the dragging and on occasion against the same people. I'm glad they're there to help cause otherwise i'm sure i'd get squished by all the big, burly men. The one guy at the show was funny though. He kept yelling puker and fake coughing on people as he ran through the crowd from the front door..classic i say.

Yeah that was the guy,long hair, no shirt and vicious boots. I thought the security gaurds did good, he was the only guy I saw get roughed up and truth be told he deserved it. They helped a lot of people out of the pit, and passed out water.