Sgt Rodriguez (USMC)

I was stationed with Sgt Rod at 2nd L.A.A.D. BN (2nd Low Altitude Air Defense Battalion), Bravo Battery, Cherry Point, NC from 05'-07'. I was in 1st platoon, Sgt Rod was in 2nd platoon. Last year, Sgt Rod spent a lot of time between Cherry Point, NC and the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, MD. The last time I talked with him, he gave me a hug and asked me to pray for him. I last saw him a couple of days before I got medically separated from the Marines, and the affects of cancer were already taking it's toll on Sgt Rod. Sgt Rod lost his hair from the cancer treatments, and lost a lot of weight.

I have several friends and family in the armed forces and the universal constant seems to be a lack of medical care, even for the little things.

My condolences.

I have several friends and family in the armed forces and the universal constant seems to be a lack of medical care, even for the little things.

My condolences.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Navy Medical Doctor's jerked me around with my foot & ankle injury. They didn't want to give me limited duty (6 months no running, field duty...etc...), and basically said I was full of shit. Once I had an MRI done on my foot & the Navy Doc got the results back, he came out of his office and asked me in a panicky voice "Are you still running on this foot?", and I said "no", and he replied "Good, DON'T!!". It turned out that I had torn tendons in my right ankle, and fractured cartiledge (where the foot & shin meet). Both injuries impacted the weight bearing pressure on my foot, forcing me to be medically separated from the Marines. The attitude in the military is, if someone has an injury, most likely they're scamming and trying to get out of work, which is another reason why I'm glad that I'm no longer on active duty. My story is just a minor example compared to what a lot of military members go through. In my opinion, most military doctor's are either inexperienced, incompetent or both. It's absolutely horrible when their mistakes cost the lives of the men & women who serve their country and expect to be taken care of when they are in need.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Navy Medical Doctor's jerked me around with my foot & ankle injury. They didn't want to give me limited duty (6 months no running, field duty...etc...), and basically said I was full of shit. Once I had an MRI done on my foot & the Navy Doc got the results back, he came out of his office and asked me in a panicky voice "Are you still running on this foot?", and I said "no", and he replied "Good, DON'T!!". It turned out that I had torn tendons in my right ankle, and fractured cartiledge (where the foot & shin meet). Both injuries impacted the weight bearing pressure on my foot, forcing me to be medically separated from the Marines. The attitude in the military is, if someone has an injury, most likely they're scamming and trying to get out of work, which is another reason why I'm glad that I'm no longer on active duty. My story is just a minor example compared to what a lot of military members go through. In my opinion, most military doctor's are either inexperienced, incompetent or both. It's absolutely horrible when their mistakes cost the lives of the men & women who serve their country and expect to be taken care of when they are in need.

Buddy of mine punctured his palm while sliding off a jet (he tried to stop himself and slammed his hand into a loose bolt). They put a little of that band-aid glue stuff on it and sent him back to work.

Split his head open and they did the same thing. The only time I've seen them limit duty was when he ended up in the hospital for pneumonia.

Buddy of mine punctured his palm while sliding off a jet (he tried to stop himself and slammed his hand into a loose bolt). They put a little of that band-aid glue stuff on it and sent him back to work.

Split his head open and they did the same thing. The only time I've seen them limit duty was when he ended up in the hospital for pneumonia.

Ouch!!! Military medicine only does the bare minimum to fix it's service members. I was having problems for 2 years with my ankle before I finally got an MRI. They kept saying it was a sprained ankle.

Ouch!!! Military medicine only does the bare minimum to fix it's service members. I was having problems for 2 years with my ankle before I finally got an MRI. They kept saying it was a sprained ankle.

Same thing happened to my brother in law. They told him he probably sprained it, and he had broken it.

I know there is a certain level of toughing it out, but what does it help when you've got someone walking around making a condition worse, that you'll eventually have to address, rather than fixing it sooner and getting them back to work?

Thank you!!! My sentiments exactly!!!! That's why I'm glad I'm out. In the Marines, we have 12 leadership traits, Integrity being one of them. I had a SSgt (E-6, Staff Sergeant) at Quantico, VA (my 2nd last unit) tell me I might have a legitimate injury. I'd love to see that prick again, show him my scars from surgery, plus the pictures of when the surgeon was inside my foot. I'd ask that piece of shit if he wanted to question my integrity again. I'm the type of person that I only go to medical (or the doctor's office) when something is hurting real bad, I just don't go for any minor aches and pains.

I am medically separated from the air force since i couldn't keep up my mobility status because of the disc i ruptured in my back.

Funny story though and about the only time i dealt with quackery in the medical ranks...

I had pains in my back and had gone through some pain meds and it still hurt, so i got an appointment and went up to the doc, he gave me 15mg of valium and sent me back to work. Now at the time i was an aircraft mechanic and was working on an active taxiway and runway, long story short. I sat down to fill out my forms for my plane and i just bounced my head off the desk then threw it backwards and was sound asleep in the chair with my head leaning full backwards.
Someone shouted at me to attention all i had the energy for was to lift up that bottle of valium...and they were like what the fuck !!! get out of here and had two guys carry me to their truck and drive me back to my dorm room. LOL.

Now at the time i was an aircraft mechanic and was working on an active taxiway and runway

Ever served at Luke Air Force base? I hear they have black flag days (I believe that's what it's called, when it's so hot outside that you have to remain in doors for a certain amount of time and can only be outside a certain amount of time?) but it doesn't apply to the flight line.

Ever served at Luke Air Force base? I hear they have black flag days (I believe that's what it's called, when it's so hot outside that you have to remain in doors for a certain amount of time and can only be outside a certain amount of time?) but it doesn't apply to the flight line.

The colored flag system is designed for all branches of the military. Green meaning conditions are good. Yellow means caution. Red means extreme caution. Black Flag means no outdoor activities (especially PT). At my last duty station (Cherry Point, NC) we still did PT and other work outside during a Black Flag, our senior NCO's and SNCO's didn't care if it was a black flag. If anyone complained, then they were called a pussy. It's not being a pussy, it's being smart which is why a flag system was invented, but that's the Marine mentality (MARINE= Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential).

we had a few black days at beale AFB, our planes were black, and with it being 125 air temps... we just shifted our whole flying schedule to dawn and dusk hours and all through the night instead...kept the planes down during the day....talk about some venting fuel holy hell....

we had a few black days at beale AFB, our planes were black, and with it being 125 air temps... we just shifted our whole flying schedule to dawn and dusk hours and all through the night instead...kept the planes down during the day....talk about some venting fuel holy hell....

Damn, that sucks!! Where is Beale AFB located at?