Shadar Logoth - Demo 2006

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Shadar Logoth – Demo 2006
By Wayward_Son

shadar_logoth.jpg

Shadar Logoth has all the tools and talent to make a name for themselves. This writer expected some half-baked Darkthrone worship to emanate from the speakers, not to mention the cover has a similar aesthetic to Panzerfaust, albeit with color. Fear not, Faithful Reader, this Maine quartet is anything but an amateur black metal clone. In fact, the music displayed here pulls from many genres including black and death metal, thrash, a hint of doom, and a splash of technicality. On top of all these facets of Shadar Logoth’s sound, they manage to give the demo an aura of mysticism by placing eerie keyboards in appropriate passages.

Influences are fairly easy to spot. The band that will come to mind most often is Borknagar, particularly the earlier albums such as the self-titled debut and The Olden Domain. Even the spectacular three pronged vocals of Dan Eaton remind this writer of Garm (back when he was making real music). A smooth, emotional, and triumphant singing voice, plus the standard black metal shriek, and even death metal growls make an appearance throughout this 23-minute demo.

It is the riffs that will hook you, Faithful Reader. Easily the best song on the demo, ’Prima Nocte’ is full of sinister guitar work, only to segue into a passage that could have fit on Pale Folklore. ’Phantom Destination’ begins with slow, melancholic chords, only to charge head on into thrash territory, then onto black metal mode, and back again. The melodies throughout the demo are another highlight, among many. Never becoming overbearing or pretentious, those melodies can bring to mind old favorites such as Dissection and early Sacramentum.

The only complaint this writer has is the production. Of course, allowances can be made since this is a demo. The drums are just a faint little sound in the background, as is the bass. Those well-placed keyboards could be more advantageous if they were louder.

When all is said and done, Shadar Logoth’s demo is certainly worth your time. Its influences are apparent, but this writer admits there is a certain special air about this band’s sound. Though not flawless, give them time to mature hone their talents and we just might have something memorable coming to us in the future.

Official Shadar Logoth Website

I listened to this before I passed it on to you, and I liked what I heard. Looking forward to their full-length. Nice review, sir.