Shadow Gallery - First Ever Live UK Show!!!

forgottenglory

Earth. Soul. Rock n' Roll
Jan 26, 2003
London, UK
www.forgottenglory.com
shadowGallery2010.jpg

Just purchased my ticket for the first ever Shadow Gallery gig in London! Is there anybody else going to this gig?

For those who might not be familiar with these Progressive Metal giants, check out the video below for Gold Dust (edited version) from their latest album Digital Ghosts

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy handed me a leaflet for this when I went to see Blind Guardian this past Sunday!

Think they're ok but not bothered about them enough to see them live, plus I've already used up my London gig quota for a while after Sunday!

As posted on the PPEU forums, I'll be seeing them on saturday at Progpower, and on sunday I will be seeing Jon Oliva's Pain :D

I'm considering going to the Belgium gig they're doing at the end of their tour, though.

Wow! You're going to see them two times! I wish I could see them more than once since they're one of my favourite Prog Metal bands so I consider myself priviledged to be able to see them at The House of Progression.

F**king brilliant. There were some sound problems at the beginning, with only the drums and one of the guitars being audible, but after they were ironed out it was great. I couldn't believe how multi-instrumental they were. The lead singer picked up a guitar and played some solos on a few songs, and the bass player also played the flute for part of a song. But the undisputed winner was Gary Wehrkamp, who played some wicked guitar and keyboard solos and then played the drums for a couple of songs. They weren't your bog-standard 4/4 rhythms either, this was serious prog level drumming. They're also the only band I've seen with 2 guitar/keyboard players.

I did wonder how the band would feel about travelling all the way from the USA to play a venue not much larger than your living room, which they barely managed to get half-full. But they looked happy and enthusiastic to be there. There was a really great vibe on the stage throughout. It was only disappointing that they didn't play Gold Dust, because they "didn't want to hold anyone up, what with the tube strike".

How was the show?

Imagine Shadow Gallery, a band despite releasing masterpiece after masterpiece, never going on tour, finally hits the live circuit! If Shadow Gallery can play live then anything is possible in the world!!!

The first two songs were marred by poor sound quality which however improved as the gig progressed. It was total relish to finally hear some of those songs live. The band were visibly having fun and that positive energy translated into the audience as well.

Other than the epic songs, those hauntingly infectious vocal harmonies, guitar solos and keyboard sound scapes: all being incredible treats , the most pleasant of surprises - the icing on the cake - was when the members switched instruments and treated us to epic instrumentals of magnanimous proportions! Joe Nevelo is a VERY frighteningly good drummer. I neither knew that Gary Werhkamp could play the drums that well nor that new vocalist Brian Ashland was an accomplished guitar player!

If a mathematical formula could be devised to describe the band's music it would be as follows:

The Shadow Gallery Formula
Musicianship + Melody = Magic

The band did a meet and greet after the show where they chatted with everyone, took pictures and signed everything that the fans threw at them.

On a personal level, I was touched that Gary, Brendt and Carl actually recognised me as their 'friend' from Facebook! Such a thing would never have happened pre-FB! I was also very pleased when Gary gave (more like threw it!) me one of his guitar picks.

This was a gig of a historic nature which I feel privileged to have attended.

They slaughtered Progpower Europe as well, and I'm even more seriously considering seeing them in Belgium at the end of the tour. Especially cos a lot of the people from Progpower Europe will be attending as well. Going to be a good party :)

It's a shame they had to catch their tourbus early at Progpower Europe to catch an early ferry the coming morning to the UK, so I only got to talk briefly to Joe, Brian and Carl (and their awesome tour manager Jill who I knew from before). They were surprisingly humble after putting down such an amazing show. If you can, it's well worth it to travel to see them. It might be a once in a lifetime opportunity!