Sharon's Open Letter to Rod Smallwood

Wheezer

Apr 18, 2005
Colorado
I didn't see this posted over here so here it is:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=40883

"Rod,

"I found your statement to be completely void of the facts that led up to Saturday's show. Your press release was written like an old-time '80s manager, trying to use every opportunity to try and sell the record and the upcoming shows instead of just dealing with the truth.

"These are the facts:

"You claim to have been in the business for 30 years and have been to hundreds of gigs, but can you tell me how many times you have heard of an opening band talking sh*t about the headliner during their set and getting away with it? Not only is Ozzy the headliner, but he is also the man who is paying your band $185,000 a night. We gave IRON MAIDEN a chance to play to the biggest audiences they have ever played to in the U.S.A. We accommodated them with their stage set and at the band's request we even scoured the audience for people wearing IRON MAIDEN t-shirts and brought them down front during their set to make them feel more comfortable. Tell me, what other headliner would do that? Unfortunately those gestures were completely lost on Bruce Dickinson who for over 20 shows continually berated Ozzy and Ozzfest during his set.

"Over the last 10 years of Ozzfest, we have worked with over 200 bands. None of them were ever disrespectful to Ozzy or any of the other bands on the tour. But for 20 shows we were forced to hear Dickinson's nightly outbursts from the stage: 'When we come back to America, we'll be back with a proper sound system,' or "We won't be playing the same old songs every night (like SABBATH),' 'We don't need a teleprompter (like Ozzy)' and 'We don't need a reality show to be legit (again, like Ozzy).' Night after night we heard his complaints from the stage about how 'corporate' the venues were and how 'outrageous' the ticket prices were. Strangely enough, if you want to get a general admission ticket to stand in a field to see IRON MAIDEN at Reading this weekend it's going to cost you over $120. I would say that's very pricey, wouldn't you?

"When an artist comes on stage and says he's not playing the 55 minutes that he was allotted and that he is going to play for as long as he wants (cutting into SABBATH's set), I'm not going to let that happen. Dickinson was under the delusion that the 46,000 people in San Bernardino had come only to see IRON MAIDEN. He even proclaimed 'This is not the Ozzfest, This is Maidenfest.' I guess no one told him that we have an audience of 45,000 to 53,000 people every year in San Bernardino.

"Here's another fact for you. Bruce Dickinson's own band was embarrassed by him. IRON MAIDEN leader, Steve Harris, even came to Ozzy's dressing room to apologize to Ozzy for Bruce's behavior before MAIDEN took the stage in San Bernardino.

"It's shameful that Dickinson felt he had the right to air his issues publicly onstage every night as a way to boost his own ego. Dickinson never once came up to Ozzy and me to voice any concerns. He certainly had the opportunity to do so every night. If he wasn't able to show us that courtesy then why should I give him the respect to air my grievances with him in private? Ozzy's only interaction with Dickinson was on the first night of the tour. Ozzy, being the true gentleman that he is, passed Bruce in the hall and said 'Good luck and have a great show.' Unfortunately Dickinson felt the need to turn his back to Ozzy and walked away. Frankly, Dickinson got what he deserved. We had to listen to his bullsh*t for five straight weeks. He only had to suffer a couple of eggs on the head.

"On closing, yes, I did cut IRON MAIDEN's sound. This is the way I look at it: Ozzfest is our tour. We built it into something that's lasted 10 years now. We've been responsible for breaking many new bands and resurrecting the careers of former superstars. Part of our success stems from the fact that when a band is on Ozzfest we treat them with nothing but kindness and respect just as if we had invited them into our home. You can ask all of the bands who have been on the tour. They all describe it as the 'ultimate summer camp.' It's like one big family. Unfortunately Dickinson doesn't have the manners to realize that when you are invited into someone's home, are seated at their dinner table, are eating their food and drinking their wine, you shouldn't talk disrespectfully about them (Ozzy, BLACK SABBATH and Ozzfest), otherwise you just might get your ass handed to you. Every action has a reaction. Was Dickinson so naïve to think that I was going to let him get away with talking sh*t about my family night after night? I don't think he realizes who he's dealing with. I will not endure behavior like this from anyone.

"I know you would love to keep talking about this because this is the most press that IRON MAIDEN has had in the U.S. in twenty years, but let's move on, shall we?

"Sincerely,

"The 'Real' Iron Maiden

"Sharon Osbourne"

I hate to say it, but Sharon's right (as much as I despise her for contributing to the downfall of Ozzy!).

Bruce was quoted slagging Ozzy and Sabbath for weeks leading up to the recent events. Sure, all of Bruce's slags/points are accurate, but it's beyond good taste to act like that.

I can tell you that there are LIES in this...I spent alot of time on the Maiden forum and NONE of the members of IM have apologized to $haron or Ozzy about the Bruce behaviour. IF they told Ozzy the were sorry "the situation was getting out of hand " ,they weren't apologizing for Bruce's behaviour !! She also claims Ozzy was the headliner, not true, it was a co-headlined show of IM and BLACK SABBATH. And Black Sabbath is NOT Ozzy... Trying to compare prices between Ozzfe$t and reading is false...Reading is a 3 - day festival .... And if Bruce was slagging the whole time (wich I honostly can't believe) it's still 100% unproffesional to disturb someones gig in this childish way...
It was about time someone told the lady and offspring they are a dirt spot on Metal music, and for one, I look up to Bruce for being the one to do it !!

True Bruce should have kept his mouth shut as far as I am concerned. and I have said that before.

But this does NOT excuse Sharon from ruining an Iron Maiden gig! You can not solve a feud over the head of the Iron Maiden fans. If she has a problem with Bruce she had to battle it out with him. Not the whole band while they were on stage.

SoundMaster said:
I hate to say it, but Sharon's right (as much as I despise her for contributing to the downfall of Ozzy!).

Bruce was quoted slagging Ozzy and Sabbath for weeks leading up to the recent events. Sure, all of Bruce's slags/points are accurate, but it's beyond good taste to act like that.

I really didn't have much of an opinion about Sharon or Maiden before all this. Both Sharon and Bruce are wrong, in my opinion. The difference I see is that Bruce's part was only words and Sharon's actions. The part that puts it over the top for me is that Sharon's actions screwed over the fans. I could not care less how much of a mud wrestling match a coupla millionaires want to engage in but when one of them screws over working stiffs I'll pick a side in a hurry. Again, just my take on it.

I saw this posted on the IM forum and the person who posted it wouldn't say where they got it from, just that they work in the industry and they copied the letter and it will be out soon. Blabbermouth loves to cut and paste... I still don't believe this letter is authentic.

OMG, could this be any more like a Junior High school he-said, she-said fight. It's well past juvenile and gay at this point and is making both sides look bad, IMHO. My general sympathies are with Maiden over Sharon (whom I loathe), but if I.M. responds further,

And, like Kittybeast, I'm not certain this letter's even authentic.

kittybeast said:
I saw this posted on the IM forum and the person who posted it wouldn't say where they got it from, just that they work in the industry and they copied the letter and it will be out soon. Blabbermouth loves to cut and paste... I still don't believe this letter is authentic.

Yeah, I've seen it on quite a few forums and it was somewhat difficult to find. For what it's worth, Billboard now has it too:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001022239

What I like about this debate is that we only get to hear part of the story. Something had to set Bruce off for him to react the way he did and that's the stuff that gets buried under the P.R. bullshit. Why would Maiden have agreed to do the show if they despised Ozzy as much as Sharon makes it sound?

I'd agree with Sharon if AND ONLY IF, Sabbath was playing a near empty venue due to Bruce's rants. I highly doubt that was the issue. So if no money is lost and Sabbath got to play to their expected crowd, then really this is just a stubborn pride issue with Sharon. Hell, if anything all this controversy has helped turn the spotlight back on Ozzfest and make the Osbournes even more money!

She's cold blooded.

By the way...........I know this is old news, but anyone who took part in or took "Battle for Ozzfest" seriously should be dragged out in the street and shot multiple times in the face!!

We all know the truth, Bruce did wrong but Sharon behaved like a savage. Many bands had opened their mouths (Dubrow's Quite Riot, Snider's Twisted Sister, Axl's GNR, etc) in the past and no one ever thrown a fart at them, much less eggs during a concert.

So $haron (I like the moniker thanks Carnut) can scream her lungs out but in the end she will always be the villain.

alright first off...from what the IM boys of have told us, stev did NOT apologize. and let me quote her,

"steve came into ozzys dressing room and apologized before the show."
if he did, it was FUCKING BEFORE her shameful act...does she have even the slightest thought that any of the band or crew would after her display?? NO!

now second off, physical assualt is outrageous. just because bruce and maiden expressed some views which she did not agree with does NOT give her the right to physical attacks. and not only that, but she did not only hurt and attempt to piss off maiden, but the 45,000. she claims the fans dont stand behind maiden...thats bullshit. i have yet to speak to 1 person (and i have alsit of 467 who went to the show and reviewed) who werent on maidens side.

she should have talking to his manager, the guys, or steve behind the "scene" somewhere along the road. the way she handled it was completly childish and stupid.

before she speaks for america, before she speaks for our troops, before she speaks for the fuckin metal community...she better take part in them, and fuckin talk to all of us. cos lemme tell you, almost none of us agree with her.

my cousin said, (whos in iraq), "bruce needs to shove his microphone right up that whore's ass." him and his friends were outraged about she said disrespecting our troops, because thats not their view on it at all.

sharons plainly wrong....i dont care if bruce spoke his mind or said truthful things that sharon didnt like, he wasnt wrong in any of his doing...she was.

Ok, Bruce was acting like a prick. But that still does not give Sharon the right to be so unprofessional, so vindictive and so rediculous as to cut the bands power off in the middle of their set, get them pelted with eggs and play a pre-recorded Ozzy chant. If Bruce isn't coming to her with his problems privately, she should've shown some professionalism and taken the initiative and come to HIM in private and air out their problems, not make it ugly and public like this.

SoundMaster said:

I agree that she is stating the facts in regards to that, but her actions were also wrong. Should have taken care of it privately, or at worst asked them to leave the tour...

sharon feels she acted justly ..but ruining Maidens set over a dispute with Bruce ruins the set for the fans and the rest of the band. If she had an issue with Bruce she should have been a proffessional and an adult and handled it the correct way. Her response, as it was ,ruined maidens show and everyone involved with the Maiden camp(especially the fans). As for the stuff Bruce said he was just straight shooting to pump up Maiden fans whether it was right or wrong ...and sure, some of it like the teleprompter and reality show digs were big shots to Ozzy ...Ozzys a big boy and he and the Sabbs should have reacted onstage with there own defense or rants about Maiden..At least the show wouldnt have been ruined

Welcome back to Junior High School. You said bad things about my boyfriend so I'm gonna have my friends egg your house. Haha that'll show you!!!

All she had to do was post an open letter with her complaints any time during the tour but nooo, she probably sat around giggling like a schoolgirl talking with her kids and egging them is the best they could come up with. Her lack of professionalism is astounding.

she's a bitch and I'm still waiting to see someone who doesn't rely on her management taking her side... and don't mention any of those bands who'd kill their mothers and fathers just to make sure they'll be part of the next Ozzfest... :yuk:

it's all a very silly story since we all know Bruce is a real gentleman though his sense of humour can be quite sharp :D