Shaun Steels Leaves MDB

Phoenix5

d3v4s7a710n
May 14, 2005
Nebraska
I'm sure most of you have seen this.

According to the band, sadly Shaun Steels has decided to part from MDB. His continuing illness shows no sign of abating and he feels the uncertaintly could be having a negative affect on his relationship with the band members. His statement below:

I would just like to salute MDB for the good times and wish them all well in the future, I feel I am not ready to fulfill the duties in a manner befitting MDB at this time and have decided to stand down. I am sad to be leaving but at this time I feel it is for the greater good of the band. Tak! The Winter.

MDB would like just like to say thanks to Shaun and to say we are sorry to see him part, but fully understand his position. Good luck Shaun. MDB

This has to be real crappy timing.

they had a different drummer, john, touring with them last year and he also recorded the drums on the new album, but he is not a full member of mdb yet. but aaron said in an interview that was posted on the thread about the new mdb album that he wanted him as the permanent drummer.

This wasn't a surprise at all, especially since Aaron has said that Shaun hasn't been in the band for 2 years since his accident.

I actually thought it was funny that Shawn left just a few days after that video interview was published. Seemed like Aaron was gently telling him to bugger off honestly.

Yeah, kind of like he was just hanging on, but oh well. This didn't come as a surprise at all, especially after that video.

the drumming on the new album by the new drummer isn't really worse than the last few albums, so we need not fear too much. i will see mdb in istanbul on saturday. after that i will have an idea how he does live.
has anyone seen mdb live? how are they?

MadTinus said:
What accident did he have? I never heard about that, and what is this illness they speak about?

News on MDB website, January 2005:

This just in: Shaun Taylor-Steels has injured his ankle in a canoeing accident before Christmas. At first it was thought to be not very serious, but at the recent filming of The Blue Lotus video it turned out that the drumming has caused the injury to reappear. John from The Prophecy has agreed to stand in until Shaun has recovered. The band is now actively writing new stuff, rehearsing for and organising gigs.

More as we get it.

And a statement from the guitarist in the MDB Forum:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:57 pm Post subject: John / Shaun record Straight time. Reply with quote
Hi All

John is still the stand in.

MDB do not have a full time replacement as yet.

John has expressed his desire to only be the session / live drummer and we have accepted this.

He is still the drummer for The Prophecy for the record.

We have not made any moves to replace Shaun as yet and probably won't as long as John is happy to fill in.

Andy

derbeder said:
the drumming on the new album by the new drummer isn't really worse than the last few albums, so we need not fear too much. i will see mdb in istanbul on saturday. after that i will have an idea how he does live.
has anyone seen mdb live? how are they?

I have seen My Dying Bride live so many times, I stopped counting ... ;) It's always very special to me. But I know people who say they'd fall asleep at MDB concerts :D :Smug:
I've seen them with John twice, I think, and he did a good job there.
Hope you enjoy the gig :headbang: And tell me how it was (new songs etc.?) :)