Shaw/Blades on Stern this morning

Although I am not a fan of their lightweight material, I might check this one out.

Styx was my favorite band when I was 13-14 years old (Pieces of Eight, Crystal Ball), mostly due to Tommy Shaw's great voice.
His harmonies with Jack Blades do certainly work very well together.

Guys, I'm so jealous that you folks in the states get to see them live. I absolutely revere both Shaw Blades albums.

Props to Harvester for starting this thread! You will not be disappointed with the album! In fact, after you hear it you may not consider them second to the Eagles in harmonizing anymore. I certainly don't :)

also, I can't recommend enough their debut as a duo (Hallucination, 1995) unlike Influence, this is an album of all originals, every one a gem!!!

-Paul

Is it just me or is "Tell Me How You Want It" by Damn Yankees one of the greatest songs ever? I love this tune, it makes me think of great summer memories at my shore house and just gets me in a great mood.

I didn't catch the show, because I despise Howard Stern. With that said, Shaw & Blades together are unstoppable! :headbang:

~Brian~

Why do you despise Stern?

Please be specific and cite examples...strange that someone into metal would not like Howard...you have piqued my curiosity...

I heard some of this on the drive to NH for work. They sounded awesome.

And I also hate Howard's show. They only reason I heard it was because somene else was picking the stations (rental car had sirius). I hate talk radio in general though.

Please be specific and cite examples...strange that someone into metal would not like Howard...you have piqued my curiosity...

You have piqued my curiosity. Should all people into metal be into Howard Stern? Please be specific and cite examples as to why you would associate stern to metal.

Wow...Stern might not have invented shock radio, but he perfected it...and then he stayed around long enough to cheapen it...now he's purposely repeatedly perverted and disgusting enough that he's just trying way too hard...it's not funny, it's not shocking, it's just old and boring...Howard comes off as just a sexually frustrated dirty old man...he's about 10 years away from shanking Junior High girls and wondering where it all went wrong...althought I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank. I'm not a prude by any fucking means, but you have to admire the guy that turned obscenity into a cottage industry.

Wow...OK...off the soapbox...I ordered the Shaw/Blades based on the reputation of their previous work...didn't even know it was a covers album..."Influence," duh!...but, wow!

Great album, great vocals...great vibe...highly recommended!

Shaw/Blades kicks ass...Stern just sucks it (ass, that is...purely for the ratings, of course)...

Rock on!

Anyone who has a chance should check out one of their shows. I went to the one at the TLA in phila and it was fantastic. Kind of like an acoustic/comedy show :). They did all kinds of stuff from Styx, Damn Yankees, Ted Nugent and their own solo albums. And they took some audience requests!!

Personally, I find him very obnoxious and not contributing anything good to society in general. Plus, I have no idea why people find him funny. I honestly don't associate him with metal, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at there? He may like some hard rock bands, but who cares? If Howard Stern is the poster boy for metal, then by all means tell me where the nearest store is so that I can buy myself some country music. :lol:

~Brian~

The Shaw/Blades show in NYC last night was AWESOME! These guys are second to none when it comes to perfect harmonies. :worship: :worship:

Michael Cartellone was there and joined them for a couple of tunes.

If you have a chance to check out a show, don't miss it! :headbang:

Steph

Personally, I find him very obnoxious and not contributing anything good to society in general. Plus, I have no idea why people find him funny. I honestly don't associate him with metal, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at there? He may like some hard rock bands, but who cares? If Howard Stern is the poster boy for metal, then by all means tell me where the nearest store is so that I can buy myself some country music. :lol:

~Brian~

Well, he plays more metal than anyone else in talk radio--that may not be saying much but when you think about it that makes him somewhat special. Also, he runs the sybian bit at least once a week--if you can find more entertaining radio than that please let me know.

If you listened to him on earth based radio in the last 5 years, you did hear a crabby guy who had his creativity choked out of him by the FCC and conservative media owners. This Stern no longer exists, now that he has the freedom to do whatever he wants on satellite.

Metal is edgy. Stern is edgy. He was doing stuff 10 years ago that people are just getting around to now:
American Idol? Stern did it in the late '80's.
Are you smarter than a 5th grader? Stern was doing that in the 70's!
Lesbian/gay dating shows? Stern was doing that in the early 80's.
I am certain that things he is doing now will be copied in a watered down version for mass consumption in a few years.
For me, metal is edgy music, appreciated by few, that influences the mainstream while retaining it's own identity. When you take that definition and apply it to talk radio, you get Howard Stern.

Just my 2cents.

BTW I am not trying to change opinion, or force anyone to like something they do not like, or make statements that people would consider bigotry. I was just curious is all since every metal fan I know here in south florida just loves HS.

Just my 2cents.

BTW I am not trying to change opinion, or force anyone to like something they do not like, or make statements that people would consider bigotry. I was just curious is all since every metal fan I know here in south florida just loves HS.

No problem man. You and I could debate HS all day, but I don't think we'd ever see eye to eye on the matter. :) The only talk radio that I listen to is the Radio Factor and I'm not really looking for Bill to ever start playing metal any time soon. ;)

~Brian~