__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Shellshock – Shellshock
Self-released – Demo – 2004
By Russell Garwood

SS.jpg

According to my trusty medical dictionary, the symptoms of shellshock include hysteria, paralysis, contracture of limbs, nightmares, insomnia, heart palpitations, dizziness, and disorientation. Well, while I didn’t notice all of those while I was listening to this demo from the UK’s Shellshock, it is nevertheless an impressive release. The music is a scathing mix between nu-metal, with a few heavier elements, and aggressive drum ‘n’ bass. Add occasional electronic noise and you have an original, transgressive sound. Slightly tinny guitars are otherwise solid, with tight rhythm work and memorable riffs that carry a decent amount of melody. The vocals vary between nu-metal screams and top-notch singing, which is – like the bass – often filtered through enough effects to make the new Star Wars look like a nature documentary. Unsurprisingly the drums and bass are more techno orientated, while the electronics bring to mind industrial as well the aforementioned genres.

Aggressive, cutting-edge, and well executed, this release is an admirable demo, especially from such a youthful band. Well thought out lyrics and decent production (considering this is self-released) are also noteworthy. On the basis of this release, Shellshock have a bright future.

7.5/10

Official Shellshock website