circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Shining – V: Halmstad
Osmose Productions – OPCD187 – April 16, 2007
By Jason Jordan

shiningh.jpg

In a subgenre with more than its fair share of copycats, it’s rare to find a band that actually innovates on a consistent basis. Shining are a band whose brand of depressive, suicidal black metal is inventive and potent. And as the Roman numeral denotes, V: Halmstad is indeed the fifth serving they’ve cooked up, which, like Shining’s older efforts, leaves one hungry for more even though it clocks in at a respectable 43 minutes.

Kvarforth (vocals, keyboards) returns in true disturbing fashion, rivaling fellow black metallers Attila Csihar (Mayhem), Varg Vikernes (Burzum), and those who attempt to replicate them. While the multifarious vocals aren’t all that different from what we’ve heard from Kvarforth before, this record differs from IV: The Eerie Cold insofar as this one is noticeably more centered on guitar. Interestingly, however, classical guitar is also liberally scattered among the six tracks, and adds more panache to their already diverse sound. Opener ‘Yttligare Ett Steg Narmare Total Javla Utfrysning’ utilizes clean leads and classicial guitar, and ‘ Langtar Bort Fran Mitt Hjartautilizes’ uses clean leads and acoustic guitar to reach its end. Halmstad features plenty of razor-y distortion, though, which is as edgy and biting as ever, and viciousness does indeed manifest itself at the beginning of ‘Lat Oss Ta Allt Fran Varandra’ and closer ‘Neka Morgondagen.’ Shining seem most forceful and driven when all instruments unite to produce the aural equivalent to a battering ram. Main digressions from orthodox BM include the strings, classical guitar parts, and jazzy bass lines in the 10-minute ‘Besvikelsens Dystra Monotoni,’ while the piano-led ‘Attiosextusenfyrahundra’ deviates from the norm by incorporating a portion of Beethoven’s “‘Moonlight’ Sonata” – a truly somber string of notes. Inane soundclips still pop up intermittently, unfortunately, and detract from the overall worth of the songs in which they appear.

Having previously carved a niche for themselves, V: Halmstad continues the legacy gracefully. While it could use some fine-tuning here and there – cut the soundclips, guys – it’s a great black metal album from Swedes who have yet to disappoint.

Official Shining Website
Official Osmose Productions Website

excellent album, one of my most played ever since i got it. great review jason :)

I hate suicidal black metal. Xasthur rip-offs in every corner of this album. A monumental example of all that is wrong in black metal today.

1/10

Not sure what you're listening to, but I didn't hear any so-badly-recorded-its-painful-to-listen to noise on this album.

It's hard to even classify it as black metal, aside from the fact that the singer sounds a bit Atilla-ish. Nortt is suicidal / depressive / doom BM. This reminds me more of Aeturnus and Runemagick .

Quite good, too.

I hate suicidal black metal. Xasthur rip-offs in every corner of this album. A monumental example of all that is wrong in black metal today.

1/10

Since Shining released two fullength albums before Xasthur released their first i guess not Shining is a Xasthur ripp-off. Or am I wrong?

Nonetheless, Shining is the better band without doubts.

Btw the new album is really good.