Shit record, but killer song!

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I'm sure you've all come across a shit record with one or two stand out tracks.
One that comes to mind is the Priest's Turbo, yes Turbo. Even Locked In & turbo Lover are mediocre at best, but "Out in the Cold" is a fantastic track! Wow! I stop what I'm doing when I hear this one. What are some that come to mind for you?! I would even say "Crush 'Em" by Megadeth isn't that bad of a song, if you drop the goofy intro, but Risk? Well, you know about that one!

sixxswine said:
One that comes to mind is the Priest's Turbo, yes Turbo. Even Locked In & turbo Lover are mediocre at best, but "Out in the Cold" is a fantastic track! Wow! I stop what I'm doing when I hear this one. What are some that come to mind for you?! I would even say "Crush 'Em" by Megadeth isn't that bad of a song, if you drop the goofy intro, but Risk? Well, you know about that one!

On Risk -- I'd say Wanderlust is pretty good, at least the chorus. Crush Em is OK once you get past the intro. So, if you combine the two half-good tracks, does that count as one good track?

sixxswine said:

I always say that ANY album must have AT LEAST one song that worth having purchase it. Of course if at least 70% of thre album is not worthy I'll not keep it. So basically I don't own shitty albums (to my ears) with just one song.

In the particular case of "Turbo" I love 'Turbo Lover'and 'Reckless' and those alone worth the money, but 'Out In The Cold', 'Hot For Love' and 'Locked In' help to save the investment :D

I'm not much of a "song" guy, therefore I don't own any albums where just a song or two is worthy of mention. I like "albums" from start to finish, which is probably why I admire concept albums so much.

A very close friend of mine is a "song" guy and he almost exclusively uses random play on a 10-disc changer (and just skips songs he doesn't like via remote). This irks me to no end.... most of the albums I listen to NEED to be heard from beginning to end with no interruptions and no skipping of songs. Very seldom can I get him to vary from his set ways and listen to something like Ayreon, Orphaned Land, Evergrey, or Savatage all the way thru.

It's one of my favourite Priest albums, a top 5 for sure.

I agree with Crush 'Em on Risk. That was me and my mates' first taste of Megadeth :D

I would also like to cite Cryin' from Vixen's s/t.

This has happened to me plenty of times. Probably most recently...I heard a song in a strip club that I found out was by Nickelback. Bought the album thinking they were a new find for me, then quickly realized I'd heard most of the CRAP that comprised the rest of the album on the radio. Yep, an awful record, with one good song. That song wasn't even a single, by the way.

Most memorable time this happened to me wasn't with a metal record. I picked up Thomas Dolby's Greatest, because...Hey, who doesn't like "She Blinded Me With Science?" Anyways, there wasn't an inspired note on the rest of the compilation. If that's his best, I'd hate to hear the shit that didn't make the cut.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I'm not much of a "song" guy, therefore I don't own any albums where just a song or two is worthy of mention. I like "albums" from start to finish, which is probably why I admire concept albums so much.

A very close friend of mine is a "song" guy and he almost exclusively uses random play on a 10-disc changer (and just skips songs he doesn't like via remote). This irks me to no end.... most of the albums I listen to NEED to be heard from beginning to end with no interruptions and no skipping of songs. Very seldom can I get him to vary from his set ways and listen to something like Ayreon, Orphaned Land, Evergrey, or Savatage all the way thru.

This has nothing to do with being a "song" guy...
You missed the point, the thread is about a record that you feel stunk, but found a track that was listenable...
Got it?!

Oh man I am gonna defo get crucified for posting this... :oops: The Cutting Crew "I just died in your arms tonight" can't remember the name of the album at this moment but to me it's a killer song...(not metal obviously)

*hides*

SickBoy said:
I suppose Bleed by Angel Dust.
The title track is an awesome song, but the rest of the album doesn't match it IMO...

I cannot endorse this post :tickled:

Actually I like 'Follow Me' and 'Addicted To Serenity' as much as 'Bleed'. And the bonus track 'Memories' is also a highlight of the album.

Trixxi Trash said:
Turbo is my favourite Judas Priest album. :)

No kidding? :p

sixxswine said:
This has nothing to do with being a "song" guy...
You missed the point, the thread is about a record that you feel stunk, but found a track that was listenable...
Got it?!
Yeah, I got it. Sorry, Sixx, that was just my long-winded way of saying, I can't comment on this subject because shitty albums with just one or two good songs don't even register on my radar.

Probably just should have said nothing :confused: