Short Death Metal Tune

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
So last night I started writing some death metal riffs, and I decided I would record them. As I recorded the riffs, a "short" song developed. This is usually how I write my songs. Instead of coming up with an entire song before recording, I record a riff I come up with, then I compose the next part and record that. I repeat parts as needed, etc.

Anyway, after I had the guitars done, I felt like adding some (real) drums. I'm not good enough to play the drums for most of this song, plus it's hard to be the drummer and engineer/producer at the same time, so I had my friend come over today and we laid down the drum tracks. (I actually play the drums for one of the sections in this tune, but overall, it's mostly my friend playing).

I plan to add bass and vocals, and probably develop this short clip/idea into a full song, but I'd like some input on the recording.

So this is just guitars (quad-tracked) and (real) drums. All acoustic kit - no sample replacement.

Let me know what you think, either of the song, or the production/recording. Here's the link:
The Clip

I'll post the equipment used probably tomorrow.

I'm not sure how the guitars could be out of phase. I used one mic only on the cab. Thus, any phase issues would depend entirely on the playing, right?

I have done a bit more mixing, and will update the link in the first post tonight.

EDIT: original link has been updated

Better, but the guitars basically just don't sound that good. What did you use?

Snare and kick need some more hi end clarity.

Edit: Not trying to sound insulting by the way. Just want to help!

Better, but the guitars basically just don't sound that good. What did you use?

Snare and kick need some more hi end clarity.

Edit: Not trying to sound insulting by the way. Just want to help!
No, I appreciate honesty. Guitar is Schecter C-1 Blackjack. Amp is 5150 head through a Fender (no-model known) cab. Miked with an SM57 about 3 inches from the grill, in the center of the cone.

By the way, was I right about phase issues being related to only the playing, provided it's only one mic?

What do you mean by "need more hi-end clarity"? Boost the highs?

like it scooped huh?? bass 10 treble 10??
:erk:
It doesn't sound scooped to me. Bass 6, Mids 3, Treble 6. The 5150 is a pretty mid-heavy amp.

I sort of naturally go for an old-school death metal tone. I guess not everyone likes that.

EQ on the recorded guitar tracks involve low-pass and high-pass, small boost at 1k and small dip at 600Hz.

No, I appreciate honesty. Guitar is Schecter C-1 Blackjack. Amp is 5150 head through a Fender (no-model known) cab. Miked with an SM57 about 3 inches from the grill, in the center of the cone.

By the way, was I right about phase issues being related to only the playing, provided it's only one mic?

What do you mean by "need more hi-end clarity"? Boost the highs?
Yeah, it's not out of phase unless you duplicated the tracks. I think the tone just isn't working as well as it could.

Bring the mic in a few centimeters from the grill, and find a position somewhere near the joint of the dust cap and the cone that sounds good to you. The center of the dust cap (I assume that's what you meant by center of the cone) tends to sound pretty fizzy and generally not too great to me.

When I say hi-end clarity, I mean the attack in those drums (basically the highs). Get the snare drum to crack and the kick to kind of whack you in the face. Check out some professional mixes to hear what I mean. Find good frequencies to boost anywhere between 1-8khz. Clarity around 10khz.

Would love to hear the guitars rerecorded if you get the time.

By the way, this is just the mix, not a master. That's why the volume is pretty low. I'm not sure if that's how it should be done, but I try to keep the mix low and not in the red before I master. That way there's no clipping when I start mastering.

second mix is better but I'm still feeling like there's something lacking. good tune however.

what was your volume setting for the amp itself? getting closer to the cone might help too, I get what you mean about the old school metal sound though.

mess around a bit more, you've got a great start just keep working. plus I can't downplay a fellow NoVa metalhead :headbang:

second mix is better but I'm still feeling like there's something lacking. good tune however.

what was your volume setting for the amp itself? getting closer to the cone might help too, I get what you mean about the old school metal sound though.

mess around a bit more, you've got a great start just keep working. plus I can't downplay a fellow NoVa metalhead :headbang:
NoVa :headbang: haha

Anyway, thanks dude.

Yeah, I think the guitars don't sound as good as they should mostly because of the cab. My amp volume was low, only on 2, but again, my cab is not great. It's some 2X12 Fender cab that my friend has essentially given to me for free by letting me borrow it for 4 years now. The speakers in it are Fender brand :lol:

This summer I'm going to get probably an Avatar with a V30 and a 75.
But I'm probably recording 2 other bands before I continue with my own stuff.

Funny you should mention, but if I recall correctly a local metal/hardcore band out by my way (now RIP) used un-modded Fender 2x12 combos and the like. Ever heard of The Heathen Propaganda? You just might be able to dial in a better sound based off of what THP used to record.

Hit the board up with some samples once you get the new cab.

Hmm, no I haven't heard of them. I'll look them up.

I will certainly post some clips when I get the new cab. By the way, the guitar sound in the updated mix is completely unprocessed. No EQ or anything, just guitar->amp->sm57>Alesis io26->Sonar. Panned, but no EQ.