short fingers....problem?

MACvodka

Alcohol-connecting people
May 28, 2006
somewhere in JEWLAND
do you thing that short fingers will be a problem for shreds and extreme technique?

'cause my fingers are very short and small....and i'm starting to ger frustrated when playing thing like 2,4,6 and stuff like that of a whole tone note skipping on the lower frets i need to stretch my fingers very wide...

i'm afraid i wont be able to shred even if i wanted to...my fingers are just to small\childish

MACvodka said:
do you thing that short fingers will be a problem for shreds and extreme technique?

'cause my fingers are very short and small....and i'm starting to ger frustrated when playing thing like 2,4,6 and stuff like that of a whole tone note skipping on the lower frets i need to stretch my fingers very wide...

i'm afraid i wont be able to shred even if i wanted to...my fingers are just to small\childish

I have quite "normal" fingers I guess so I don´t have that problem. But if I remember correctly from his videos, Marcel Coenen (if you don´t know him: his band Sun Caged has a forum on UM, too) has rather small fingers and look how that man can shred. So I don´t think it´s impossible to shred with small fingers. Maybe you should get another guitar with a neck that is more comfortable to you? Don´t know, just a guess.

*edit*
How long do you play? How long have you been practising this finger movement? I remember that I couldn´t play that at first, too, but my fingers get used to it and now it´s no problem.

No way, man!

I have pretty short fingers, well my index finger is less than 3" long (just measured it LOL) and my other fretting fingers are around the same length. I am teh shredz0rer even with short fingers so I think you will be fine dude.

I went through the same feelings on having short fingers. You can learn to do anything the guys with long fingers have. Unless they have some sort of freakishly long fingers and can cover 5 frets between each finger or something. But I doubt they can.

Just keep playing how you play dude, nothing can stop you if you beleive you can do what other people do! Not even your fingers can stop you.

Sounds corny but those are my words of wisdom.

I have pretty long fingers, so i dont experience what some people do. But I think its just to practise stretching the fingers. Cause I know that I have improved my ehhm... stretching even though my fingers are long. I can take even "wider" chords now. So I believe its just practise.

MACvodka said:

I have short stubby fingers and i dont ghink its a problem.

http://music.vegasgothic.com/video/Video5.avi

What do you think ?

NightmareOfAllan said:
Maybe you should get another guitar with a neck that is more comfortable to you?

A very good idea. There are guitars out there with much shorter necks than the usual metal ones. You might not be playing Ibanez or ESP like everyone else, but no one likes a tool anyways.

Wait a minute...what am I doing here? I never post in this forum!
-Travis

well, no doubt your at a disavantage with short fingers, but you can just use your thumb and be like jake e lee and use you thumb for huge streches lol.

that was kinda a joke but on xtreme streches, sometimes he used to pull his thumb from behind the guitar and fret a note with it while he used his pinky for the other. I dont have any videos sorry, you can try youtube or google video though

ok tnx.....
i dont wanna open another threaad so i will ask here-
when sweeping-how i prevent the notes on lets say the 5,7,12 frets from going natural harmonic when lifting the finger?

2nd- when tapping how i mute the strings that i dont play on them and how to mute strings that make noise when i pull off from them and go to others while tapping?

sorry about the bunch of queastions.....

NightmareOfAllan said:
But if I remember correctly from his videos, Marcel Coenen (if you don´t know him: his band Sun Caged has a forum on UM, too) has rather small fingers and look how that man can shred.

Yeah, Marcel doesn't have very big hands at all. He's amazing to watch, though.

Small hands aren't a big deal. From a playing standpoint, yeah, you may not be able to do Gilbert-esque stretches, but you can still play cool stuff, and it's no impediment to speed.

MACvodka said:
ok tnx.....
i dont wanna open another threaad so i will ask here-
when sweeping-how i prevent the notes on lets say the 5,7,12 frets from going natural harmonic when lifting the finger?

2nd- when tapping how i mute the strings that i dont play on them and how to mute strings that make noise when i pull off from them and go to others while tapping?

sorry about the bunch of queastions.....

I do both of those things by using right-hand muting, which seems to be the single most holistic thing in guitar playing - I've never seen two people do it exactly the same way.