Questions for Tyr

complexprocess

Nothing but the process
Hey Tyr,
I have some questions about technique. Mainly right hand, because left hand exercises are so readily available, though hints in that department would be great too.

What do you recommend for building speed and consistency in your mightier three fingers (either along one string or skipping around). Any specific exercises? Also, I can never play as well on my lowest string (E in my 4-stringed case), because I don't have anything to stop those damn fingers from flying off on their own:D . Did you ever have such a problem, and how did you fix it if so? Do you have a preferred "angle of attack"? Straight fingers or do you hook them on the strings?

Sorry for bombarding you, but thanks for any time you have to respond.

Scott

TYR RULES!!!!!!!!!
*Ahem*
Sorry.That guy needs to put out a video or something.
If you want to see him play, buy the Live Emperor DVD because he plays on it.

That guy needs to put out a video or something.
An excellent idea.

If you want to see him play, buy the Live Emperor DVD
Yet another excellent idea. It always seems to me bass players don't get much screen time, and they're always silhouetted when their time comes on concert videos. I never get to see what I want :( . I hope the emperor show is different.

Originally posted by Scourge of Malice
not to sound like a dick or anything, but I don't see anything really special with the bass, it just seems to go along with the guitar

The guy plays bass at the same speed as the guitar with his fucking fingers.That is ABNORMAL.
Besides that, he does cool fills and nice melodic playing for the slower parts.
I'd like to hear him do tapping.

Besides anything, he gets this question alot.
Maybe you should just look around this board for the answer because I know it's out there.
People ask him bass stuff now more than Stevie D.
I don't know where he gets the patience from.

I suggest you do a forum-search on Steve Di Giorgio's forum , just search for all the posts I've made there , as most of them are about bass-technique.
I'm quite busy right now , so I apologize for the short answer/easy-way-out-solution I give here , but it can't be helped I'm afraid...

For the guy sounding like a dick (hehe cheap one hehe) , I suggest you listen more closely to "Empiricism" , because it doesn't just follow the guitars , only about 30% does that.

The way Tyr plays is simular to the way Steve Harris plays, with three fingers. For all you classical guitarists out there the fingers used are i,m,a or the three fingers between little finger and thumb. Starting with ring finger pick the string as would be done with two fingers but with three. Use rest stroke on the a,d and g strings and free stroke on the e string. Pick up towards the palm of the hand. The best place to see this in action is the Run to the hills video, if not then any other Maiden video where Steve Harris is seen to play. Use a metronome at about 100 bpm at first then work up. It takes months to get to a speed which can be used for metal. I find that sounding triplets (groups of 3) works best for that Steve Harris sound. Playing to a metronome for at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day helps with everything.

it's good to know that there are fans of tyr's bass techniques. i'm a fan too :)

i always like to hear the bass playing an independent role in a band context. yes it is supposed to fortify the rythm but many bass players are simply content to play along with the drums...:rolleyes: empiricism- i hear more than 4 strings on certain occassions & even fretless too. now that there's only one guitar player in the band, i hope he will fill the bass parts as creatively as possible but still maintain a band member role.

as a guitar player i wish to play with someone like tyr. it inspires me... often in aggressive music, the technicality of playing is ignored.

other fav bass players:
di giorgio/ malone/ norberg

nagash used a pick in dimmu. check out the live footage from poland on their world misanthrophy dvd.
also, as far as the emperor dvd goes, there isn't much of tyr playing bass. he gets a few shots onscreen (oddly enough about as much as samoth) but it is mostly ishan followed by trym.

I hate to be a knob, and no offence to Emperor, but that DVD wasn't all that great as far as visuals go. The sound quality was fantastic, no question about that, but the camera was more or less on Ihsahn just singing away, those shots could've at least shown him playing guitar too. There was some decent footage of Trym too, but Samoth, Tyr and Charmand were almost non-existant.

Add to that the inane crowd footage and silly fast-forward effects, watching the DVD became a bit frustrating.

But for Scourge of Malice, listen to Empiricism on a decent hi-fi system and the bass really shines though and complements the other instruments, you can hear its rhythm and some fantastic scaling trills/fills that Tyr chucks in (listen to about 3:54 on The Genuine Pulse). Brilliant. :)