questions to rob

GolGotha

New Metal Member
Apr 20, 2003
hi !

i'm a bass player since 4 years, and i bought your solo cd Rob Van Der Loo - Six Arms... it's exellent !!! even my bass teacher say so !

i have a question for you about your right hand hand fingering technique...
did you use 3 fingers ? if yes, what is your fingers pattern ? i'm able to play with 3 but, i never what must be played with 2 or 3 fingers... Do you rake when you only use 2 ?
could you discribe me your right hand technique (the fulliest possible...) in order to help me ?

thanks a lot !

Hello GolGotha,

First of all thanks for the compliments! :)

About your questions; if I just answer your last one I guess the three have been answered too, right? :cool:
For righthand attack I use all of the fingers except for the little one, I haven't been using it (yet) only for muting.
I mostly use the index and middle finger (I play 1,2), when things go faster and I have to play (odd numbered) patterns of three (five, seven etc.) notes than I mostly will add my ring finger (I play 3,2,1) also very handy for the Maiden songs or Metallica thrash riffs. :D
I also use my thumb when I have to play a lot of octaves or bigger intervals.
This way I don't have move my wrist and hand so my fingers can do the job. You can compare it with fingerpicking. (The thumb for the low tones and the other fingers for the higher tones)
Of course I also use all of my fingers for slapping and fingerpicking technique.

I hope your questions have been answered,

Rob

GolGotha said:
hi !

i'm a bass player since 4 years, and i bought your solo cd Rob Van Der Loo - Six Arms... it's exellent !!! even my bass teacher say so !

i have a question for you about your right hand hand fingering technique...
did you use 3 fingers ? if yes, what is your fingers pattern ? i'm able to play with 3 but, i never what must be played with 2 or 3 fingers... Do you rake when you only use 2 ?
could you discribe me your right hand technique (the fulliest possible...) in order to help me ?

thanks a lot !

okay...

but did you "rake" when you're playing with 2 fingers ? with 3 ?
and what about 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 ???

and what about writing a book with all your right and left technique, and all !

keep on grooving ! (in the free world...)

No, I don't really "rake" the strings...I just like to call it striking or touching the strings :D .
I don't know if your fingers are numbered at your basslessons but in most books the fingers are numbered like: T(thumb),1(index finger),2(middle finger),3(ring finger),4(little finger). I can also use therms p,i,m,a like they do with classical guitar but I think the numbers are easier.
Writing a book....maybe an option for in the future.
Thanks for the idea! ;)

Rob

www.robvanderloo.com

GolGotha said:
okay...

but did you "rake" when you're playing with 2 fingers ? with 3 ?
and what about 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 ???

and what about writing a book with all your right and left technique, and all !

keep on grooving ! (in the free world...)

Raking is when you "brush" from the last note played on a higher string to the first note played of the next lowest string, resulting in the same finger being used to play both notes.

So, did you rake ? always ?

When Steve DiGiorgio is playing with 3 fingers, he do :
3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 ... (1 is index, 2 is middle, 3 is ring)
this in on a .pdf file on is website...
What do you think of that ?

Do you think that we must rake when we use 3 fingers ?

I think that it will be great if you put some lessons on your website... great for us, of course, buit it could be a ggod experience for you !
(i'm studiing in order to be a bass teacher...)

A last thing, did you have msm messenger ???
if yes, can you add me ?? i really want to talk with you !
my e-mail is : golgotha_38@hotmail.com

Thanks for all man !

GolGotha said:
"Raking is when you "brush" from the last note played on a higher string to the first note played of the next lowest string, resulting in the same finger being used to play both notes.
GolGotha said:
So, did you rake ? always ?"

Yeah, sometimes I rake but I also like to use more fingers especially when I play chords.

"When Steve DiGiorgio is playing with 3 fingers, he do :
3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 ... (1 is index, 2 is middle, 3 is ring)
this in on a .pdf file on is website...
What do you think of that ?"

Sometimes I also use this pattern but most of the time I prefer to play 1 2 1 2 1 2 etc.

"Do you think that we must rake when we use 3 fingers ?"

Why not? Sometimes I do this when I play chords and you can get this very cool "sweeping" effect.

"I think that it will be great if you put some lessons on your website... great for us, of course, buit it could be a ggod experience for you !
(i'm studiing in order to be a bass teacher...)"

There will propably be some lessons (including videos) on my new website right after my new album will be released.

Cheers!

Rob

www.robvanderloo.com