Question for Jason

samer1

New Metal Member
Nov 13, 2006
Hey Jason, im a long time fan, had a quick question for you if you have time to answer (if not i totally understand).

I really dig your technique, and was wondering about your right hand; I'm working on getting my right hand to move more fluidly; i currently keep my three fingers rested on my treble strings when playing rhythm, i have noticed when playing faster thrashy style stuff (180bpm+ 16th notes) those fingers tend to get fatigued or cause some strain.

When im not palm mutting, or playing faster leads (180bpm+ 16th notes) i close my fingers into a fist and am able to play more fluidly.

From your experience does resting your fingers on the strings a bad technique to have learned?

In this video you have your fingers more "open"

Can you describe for me how you hold your pick? Also if you offer on line guitar lessons i would love to take a couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
My palm mutting is more from the fat part of my thumb. So fatty part under my thumb is how I mute. Now I know this would be a tough transition for your mutting as a lot of students I have, have developed that technique well before taking lessons from me. I started mutting the way you're palm mutting but found that the sound and mutting wasn't ideal for what I wanted to do.

I hope this helps and wish you the very best.