Picking Question

Dec 8, 2005
I have notices that Chris does not anchor when picking. I am trying to adopt this technique as it seems efficient and I feel better doing it. But the way my pick hits the string is kind of weird. Do do you keep your palm rested in the same spot, assuming your playing a 3 not per string scale, on the corner of the bridge, then let your fingers guide through the strings? Or does your palm move across the bridge with your picking?

my suggestion, DO NOT anchor, it lets you have SO much more openness when playing, youre able to cover more ground faster, theres been god knows how many threads on this on ultimate-guitar, all of which come to the conclusion that while yes tension is somewhat relieved by the pinky, it will slow you down in the long run

bad habit to do, i often find my right pinky subconsciously reaching to be anchored, and have to fight against it

Oh WTF? This is the first I've heard of it being a "bad" habit, one that I rely on heavily for playing leads. Though, I will give it some attention, because I know that especially when I play slower i'll do it, but when I play faster I'm not certain that I retain the habit. I'm pretty sure I don't so it when I sweep.