Mikael Akerfeldt's picking technique

Slunk

Jul 27, 2008
Silent Hill
www.youtube.com
Does anyone know Mikael's picking technique? More specifically, does he anchor his picking hand in any way to the guitar? In case this terminology is confusing, I'm basically asking if any part of Mikael's hand is touching the guitar while he is picking. The most common ways are having your ring/pinky finger(s) planted against the base of the guitar, or resting your palm on the bridge.

I've tried watching videos, but with all the fancy camera work, most of them are to hard to tell what is going on. It is especially hard to tell if his palm is resting or not. Does anyone happen to know?

Usually people just develop things like that as a crutch, so I would hope you're not asking because you want to emulate him.

I've been playing guitar for only about a year now, and I just started to get "serious" about it. Anchoring seems like a pretty interesting topic, and one that I am quite unsure about. Some amazing guitarist do it, some amazing guitarist don't. I have heard convincing arguments for both sides as well. I respect Mikael as a guitarist, and I am curious about his playing style.

What I'm saying is that it's not something like alternate picking or finger picking that allows you to play some things better. It's simply a crutch players subconsciously develop from playing that way initially. A player having to anchor his pinky to the body is honestly about the same as a player having to sit down to play well. It's not a guitar technique its just something your hands do and you get used to eventually.

why does it really matter. åkerfeldt isnt a technical player, the way he picks doesnt affect his kick-ass phrasing and imitating him would probably just limit you technically whilst not having any positve effects on your playing.

What I'm saying is that it's not something like alternate picking or finger picking that allows you to play some things better. It's simply a crutch players subconsciously develop from playing that way initially. A player having to anchor his pinky to the body is honestly about the same as a player having to sit down to play well. It's not a guitar technique its just something your hands do and you get used to eventually.

roll.gif

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Have you ever seen Petrucci play?

lol Petrucci is definitely not perfect technically. I mean, he hits notes nearly perfectly, but he has some flaws that he's admitted himself. His pinky in his left hand for example. Resting your pinky or whatever on the guitar isn't the best technique. Especially when playing arpeggios, you want your hand to "float" over the strings so you can skip strings easier (like playing a low and high E in succession).

edit: that isn't to say that you can't play well with a finger resting on the guitar. I guess one's comfort is ultimately the most important thing.

lol Petrucci is definitely not perfect technically. I mean, he hits notes nearly perfectly, but he has some flaws that he's admitted himself. His pinky in his left hand for example. Resting your pinky or whatever on the guitar isn't the best technique. Especially when playing arpeggios, you want your hand to "float" over the strings so you can skip strings easier (like playing a low and high E in succession).

roll.gif

I think John manages arpeggios just fine, thanks. And I've read that criticism he's made of himself, but since we were discussing the picking hand and not the fretting hand, I don't think it's particularly relevant.

Resting your pinky on the body of the guitar may not be the best technique, but it's certainly not a bad technique, which is the point I've been trying to get across.

Marty Friedman is another example of someone with an unconventional picking technique, but he manages to get the job done.

Besides, what the fuck is the best technique anyway? Who's the authority that makes the decree? How about "best technique" simply being whatever works for you whilst enabling you to achieve the level of technicality you're after?

roll.gif

I think John manages arpeggios just fine, thanks. And I've read that criticism he's made of himself, but since we were discussing the picking hand and not the fretting hand, I don't think it's particularly relevant.

Resting your pinky on the body of the guitar may not be the best technique, but it's certainly not a bad technique, which is the point I've been trying to get across.

Marty Friedman is another example of someone with an unconventional picking technique, but he manages to get the job done.

Besides, what the fuck is the best technique anyway? Who's the authority that makes the decree? How about "best technique" simply being whatever works for you whilst enabling you to achieve the level of technicality you're after?

My biggest concern, and one of the main reasons why I ask this question is because I don't want to do something that will ultimately come up to haunt me when I get more advanced with my playing. I don't rest my fingers on the guitar, but I do rest my palm on the bridge when I'm picking.

roll.gif

Which I stated in my edit you fucking dunce. Of course, people become comfortable with their flaws to the point that trying to change them will hinder their playing.

My biggest concern, and one of the main reasons why I ask this question is because I don't want to do something that will ultimately come up to haunt me when I get more advanced with my playing. I don't rest my fingers on the guitar, but I do rest my palm on the bridge when I'm picking.

I think if you're looking for advice to further your playing, and you're serious about it (as it seems you are), you would do well to take lessons or ask someone who teaches guitar.

Which I stated in my edit you fucking dunce. Of course, people become comfortable with their flaws to the point that trying to change them will hinder their playing.

So it's my fault I caught you before your edit? Moron. As far as I'm concerned, every player has "flaws." Every player has his own technique that enables him to play a particular style. Despite Petrucci's "flaws," he's still a solid guitarist, so I don't quite know what point you were trying to make.

@Slunk:

Do whatever is comfortable that enables you to play everything that comes at you. Just be sure not to tense your hand or arm. If you feel a pain in either every time you sit down to play, you're either not stretching or warming up properly, or your picking technique needs work

The whole process involves a self-correcting mechanism. As your playing advances, you'll notice that you might have to make slight corrections. Either way, it's a natural process. Sweep picking, for example, will require a different approach.

Stop thinking so much about what's "correct." You should be more concerned with what's comfortable and what enables you to play naturally.

bleh.. guitar theory..

would never care for how my hand looks when striking a string, I try to focus on whatever I want to play instead.

So it's my fault I caught you before your edit? Moron. As far as I'm concerned, every player has "flaws." Every player has his own technique that enables him to play a particular style. Despite Petrucci's "flaws," he's still a solid guitarist, so I don't quite know what point you were trying to make.

seeing as my edit was nine minutes before your post, yes I would think you would have seen it (unless you were slaving away for ten minutes to post). The funny thing is, we're not even in disagreement. I am essentially agreeing with you. Sure Petrucci is good despite flaws, but OP was interested in preemptively treating those flaws. So, I was just trying to advise him in a way that he won't be distracted by trying to keep his pinky off his guitar (which does hinder playing in some ways) when trying to advance technically. All of what we're saying should be taken as a grain of salt though, as we all really know nothing compared to someone who can sit down with him and tell him what "correct" technique is. Though telling someone that it's ok to become complacent with a problem in one's technique is pretty shitty advice in this case. So fuck you.

I left my computer after I hit the reply button, but if I had seen it, would I not have quoted the edited post? C'mon dude. It's pretty obvious that my response would have been different if I had seen it, so I don't know what you're still going on about.

All of what we're saying should be taken as a grain of salt though, as we all really know nothing compared to someone who can sit down with him and tell him what "correct" technique is

Yeah, I said the same above.

Though telling someone that it's ok to become complacent with a problem in one's technique is pretty shitty advice in this case.

That's fine. I don't see it as a problem or a hindrance particularly. It could be for some, but it's different for everyone. He should decide for himself.

So fuck you.

Spoken like a true champ.

i'd say palm on the bridge when picking? im not sure? maybe a combo of both

i know he probably doesnt anchor at all when playing fingerstyle because that's very bad technique/crutch whatever. you're supposed to have your hand free, and its especially bad if you have your palm on the body above the strings because it screws with your thumb picking