Mikael Akerfeldt's favorite musicians

What's a good Tommy Emmanuel album to start with. I listened to some random clips and liked it.

man i saw this guitar show that showed a bunch of guitarists and tommy emmanuel appeared and play some licks or whatever from some song of his and it was real smooth, but i cant remember the song

im 90% sure the song's title was a woman's name, but i cant remember exactly

You obviously haven't heard a lot of solo electric artists (or metal for that matter lol). Or were you refering to post-AJFA, where Metallica sucked? Either way, he's most definitely not emotionless on their first 4 albums. But w/e, it's pretty much trendy and cool to bash accomplished bands so no point arguing.

wait.. what? I haven't heard a lot of metal or solos cause I don't like Kirk Hammet? hmm..
I never enjoyed any of his solos.
TO ME he's just not comparable to the Vaughan Brothers or whatever, who's solos I enjoy listening to over and over again.
mindless doodling down the neck ftl.

wait.. what? I haven't heard a lot of metal or solos cause I don't like Kirk Hammet? hmm..
I never enjoyed any of his solos.
TO ME he's just not comparable to the Vaughan Brothers or whatever, who's solos I enjoy listening to over and over again.
mindless doodling down the neck ftl.

stevie was a great player, very few metal players compare to stevie for me too

lol what you said was that Hammett was one of the most emotionless players period, meaning you don't listen to much metal because his stuff is pretty standard if not better. Obviously Stevie Ray Vaughan is awesome but what kind of comparison is that, he's a blues player.

I like Dream theater yes. I've listened to them since their 2nd album and saw them live on the "Awake" tour. I admit, I don't listen to them as much as I used to but still consider myself a fan.

New stuff that don't sound old....hmmm, I like the Knife for some reason but I can't recommend them as they sound too retarded, José Gonzales (well, sounds like Nick Drake), some Bo Kaspers Orkester (ripped off Miles and every other jazz band/musicina but...) records. There's not an awful lot that interests me to be honest. Yes, I still adore PT and Katatonia and some Madder mortem, some Meshuggah etc but really, I'm stuck in the old days. Right now there's a lot of Miles Davis, "In a silent way" has been playing around 5 times every day for the last months and same with "E.S.P"....

Hey Mike,

What other progressive metal bands do you like? Are you a fan of Fates Warning for example? If so, which era do you prefer? What is your take on Queensryche or Pain of Salvation or Zero Hour?

Thanks!

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8366299 said:
I like Dream theater yes. I've listened to them since their 2nd album and saw them live on the "Awake" tour. I admit, I don't listen to them as much as I used to but still consider myself a fan.

New stuff that don't sound old....hmmm, I like the Knife for some reason but I can't recommend them as they sound too retarded, José Gonzales (well, sounds like Nick Drake), some Bo Kaspers Orkester (ripped off Miles and every other jazz band/musicina but...) records. There's not an awful lot that interests me to be honest. Yes, I still adore PT and Katatonia and some Madder mortem, some Meshuggah etc but really, I'm stuck in the old days. Right now there's a lot of Miles Davis, "In a silent way" has been playing around 5 times every day for the last months and same with "E.S.P"....

haha Bo Kaspers Orkester. I thought I was the only swede younger than 65 who enjoyed listening to them :kickass:

What do you think about Witchcraft (the Swedish band)?, which you are playing festivals with at the moment? just as I write this, I'm on my way to Peace & Love, see you there.!

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8366299 said:
Right now there's a lot of Miles Davis, "In a silent way" has been playing around 5 times every day for the last months and same with "E.S.P"....

E.S.P is a cool one ... I especially like the second track, Eighty-One. The theme is so absurd and funny. I like his second great quintett best, and mainly the Wayne Shorter stuff. Nefertiti is also great.

As for acoustic guitarists ... don ross and andy mckee have better hair than tommy emmanuel ;)