Mikael Akerfeldt's favorite musicians

Players like Andy McKee and Antoine Dufour may now be more technically skilled than older players like Michael Hedges, but, first of all, they were greatly influenced by the older players, and, second of all, they are far more robotic and emotionless. Players like that are better acoustic guitar players only in the sense that like...Yngwie Malmsteen is a better guitarist than Ritchie Blackmore or David Gilmour.

don ross is far from emotionless and robotic. i dont know if you can say hedges or ross are more emotional, but don ross is far from a skilled hedges clone. for one, don has a much better sense of the beat than hedges and is twice as funky. hedges had alot of cool stuff but i think don ross is an extension of what hedges was, before he died.

but yeah, don ross swings alot more than hedges, is better at arranging around the beats + has a mean singing voice.

Andy Mckee maybe, antoine dufour is pretty shallow too but i think don ross totally schools andy mckee and antoine dufour anyway

Oh yeah i wasn't talking about don ross - I think he's more interesting than McKee and Dufour for sure. And I'll acknowledge he's more funky, but that's something I've never really cared about. Tbh I agree with the above post that Hedges was like a Hendrix of acoustic guitar - not meaning that he improvised like crazy but just that you can really see in live performances that he really poured his heart and soul into his playing. Don Ross is great, I only don't like people going nuts over people like Dufour - I actually listen to those players sometimes but you can't deny they're robotic to the point of being more like an acoustic John Petrucci.

oh ok my mistake

i think the reason they get alot more praise, despite being somewhat robotic, is because antoine dufour's music is so much more beautiful than anything john petrucci has made.

anyways, from candyrat records id have to say kelly valleau and andrew white are great guitarists and deserve more praise than some of the more popular candyrat players

Yeah, I've known for quite some time that Mike is into Jan Johansson - and no, obviously, that wasn't the acoustic guitarist he was talking about. Thanks for the other leads - I'm planning to check them out. Speaking of finger-style guitarists, Phil Keaggy is always way up there (acoustic and electric), and one of the best guitarists you've probably never heard of is Dave Beegle (get his Acoustic Mayhem CD/DVD - I gave one to Mikael after the Boston show). Another non-metal person Mike and I talked about was Seal. He told me that he got the inspiration for the song "Harvest" from a Seal song. He thinks Seal is one of the greatest singers, and I'd have to agree.

Yes! Tommy Emmanuel! I'm almost 100% sure that the person Mikael said was the best acoustic guitarist in the last 20 years was Tommy Emmanuel! My son thought he remembered Mikael say "Tommy," but we didn't remember the last name. Mikael said he ran into him at Heathrow Airport and was in awe that he got to meet him. And just last night I saw excerpts from Emmanuel's newest DVD "Center Stage" on our local public television station. This is the first time I heard him. What a find! He's like a combo between Chet Atkins and Phil Keaggy.

Mike's obviously an arrogant tool to make an objective statement like that with people like Hedges out there :(

Yes, Tommy Emmanuel is just a fantastic player. I don't know Hedges so I'll check him out. Tommy's playing is very musical though. I don't like him because of some widdly stuff, technique or bullshit like that (even though I guess his tecnique is more or less flawless). He's just very musical in his approach to playing the guitar. His songs inspires me to play myself and that's basically all I need.

He's got a great mind for choosing what notes to play and his chord build ups are astonishing to me. and his flow is impeccable too. Yes, it's safe to say he's the guitarist that's made the biggest impression on me in the last few years.

Simply amazing!

Mike

does this mean I won the thread by the way?

he might love Jojje Wadenius too, Swedens answer to Blackmore :p

he played in Made in Sweden, with Tommy Körberg on vocals (he's doin Opera and stuff nowadays)

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8326579 said:
Yes, Tommy Emmanuel is just a fantastic player. I don't know Hedges so I'll check him out. Tommy's playing is very musical though. I don't like him because of some widdly stuff, technique or bullshit like that (even though I guess his tecnique is more or less flawless). He's just very musical in his approach to playing the guitar. His songs inspires me to play myself and that's basically all I need.

He's got a great mind for choosing what notes to play and his chord build ups are astonishing to me. and his flow is impeccable too. Yes, it's safe to say he's the guitarist that's made the biggest impression on me in the last few years.

Simply amazing!

Mike

That works, what the OP was saying is that you just said he was the best period, which is obviously impossible to determine.

my favorite musician is tomas haake and he doesnt even make music
lolz!

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8326579 said:
I don't like him because of some widdly stuff, technique or bullshit like that (even though I guess his tecnique is more or less flawless).

Why does that have to be bullshit? It may not be a creative stance in musical way but it needs real discipline and devotion and surely talent (in a different sense) to acquire it. Also it is made in the name of music and that opens a whole new world of possibilities..

i think he means technical playing for the sake of being technical, rather than trying to make good sounding music. i dont think hes saying that being skilled is bad, but just the music is just wankerish. if you get me

i agree hemi, having good skills makes your posibilities wider, and good technique is always a bonus