Mikael Akerfeldt's favorite musicians

O P E T H

Old Man's Rock
May 23, 2009
I had a great extended conversation with Mikael after the Boston House of Blues show. (I think he appreciated someone who didn't come up to him and scream "Opeth f***ing rules!" or some such inane thing and instead engaged him in a coherent conversation.) We found we had a lot in common regarding our likes, including non-metal likes. When we were on the topic of acoustic guitarists, he mentioned the name of someone of whom I've never heard. He said that this person was the best acoustic guitarist in the past 20 years. I thought it would be on his MySpace or in at least one of his interviews, so I didn't write it down. Then, of course, I forgot the name. And I haven't been able to find where he mentions favorite acoustic guitarists anywhere. Have any of you out there heard this from Mikael? I'd love to find out who this guitarist is. If any of you see this and then talk to Mikael after a show, I'd appreciate it if you could ask him who this person is. But I'd also like to start a thread on all of Mikael's favorite musicians, including the obscure and non-metal ones. Thanks!

No idea what Mikael thinks but obviously the answer is Michael Hedges unless Mike was drunk.

My guitar teacher has played guitar 10 hours a day for about 40 years and he claims that Michael Hedges is the best acoustic guitar player in the world - but he also says retarded stuff like "dude, if you set up that acoustic, it will sound 13.7% cooler" so idk. He's definitely my favorite though.

Too bad Michael Hedges passed away so young. He was frighteningly talented. He actually dropped out of the Baltimore Conservatory of Music because he couldn't play his compositions using the techniques they were teaching him.

On a non-acoustic note... I know Mikael also diggs Camel - wicked ass band

Players like Andy McKee and Antoine Dufour may now be more technically skilled than older players like Michael Hedges, but, first of all, they were greatly influenced by the older players, and, second of all, they are far more robotic and emotionless. Players like that are better acoustic guitar players only in the sense that like...Yngwie Malmsteen is a better guitarist than Ritchie Blackmore or David Gilmour.