Akerfeldt's growl...

Jun 27, 2003
I went to my first Opeth show a month ago, and it amazed me how long Mikael can hold his growls for, and with such ease. I've tried immitating his growls, but no matter how big of a breath I take, I seem to run short of air much sooner than him. Does anyone know of any techniques he uses? (I ask this because I recently took over vocals for my band and need some pointers.)

Try using the 'search option'. There's been plenty of threads about this in the past. I'd like to help but I'm not much of an expert, sorry.

I have a very short cut from a paper where he is asked something like this: on moment

My "technique" is a tad different i guess. My screams are pushed up towards my palate, which means i save air and stamina, which also means that i never realy lose my voice, as it doesn't affect my vocal cords. My screams arn't realy high in volume, even though it sometimes sounds like i am a fucking monster :). Still, there is no way how i can tell you how to growl, you just have to find a way that fits your person.

Sorry for my bad english, but that's what he said.

The palate is basically the roof of the mouth. There's different parts (soft palate, and another or so). It separates the mouth from the nasal cavity. Thank you, high school Physiology and Anatomy class :).

So how does the growl sound so big without him even cupping the mic?

Been listening to a lot of Morningrise lately, and I'm missing the older vocal/lyrical style in the new stuff. It's all good though - never a dull moment. :D

Well whattafuck I'll try. I've tried a thousand times in the past.

There are many theories about singing in generally, but I'll use this one : There's three resonance points in one's head.

1) Behind your throat
2) In the back of your mouth
3) Behind your nose

There's also false vocals chords. False vocals chords are something that no human actually need, but they're still there. The false vocals chords are somewhere between 2) and 3)

By putting the pressure on them you can make the growling sound. But you also need to add some of normal low singing sounds. B laah.Örh. More booze.

Windom Pearl said:
Well whattafuck I'll try. I've tried a thousand times in the past.

There are many theories about singing in generally, but I'll use this one : There's three resonance points in one's head.

1) Behind your throat
2) In the back of your mouth
3) Behind your nose

There's also false vocals chords. False vocals chords are something that no human actually need, but they're still there. The false vocals chords are somewhere between 2) and 3)

By putting the pressure on them you can make the growling sound. But you also need to add some of normal low singing sounds. B laah.Örh. More booze.

Booze is good!

If you want to hold your growls longer then you will need to increase your lung size. There are breathing exercises to increase your lung size. Try blowing up huge inflatible mattresses manually or your inflatible sex toy. You should try learning to play an insturment that requires air.