Martin Lopez if you're out there!

Darfus

Mar 20, 2004
Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody knows what bass drum pedals Martin Lopez uses. I am a drummer myself, and I am just curious what he uses to help with his speed. Ridiculous Speed. I try to emulate him, and it just doesn't work, and it might be my pedals. I have the pedals my set came with, Yamaha Fp7210 or something, like $60.00 each. If it's not the pedals it's just me sucking since I've only been drumming a month short of a year.

And Martin, if you're still reading these forums, I'd really appreciate it if you would let me know your equipment. Your band site doesn't say the details of your equipment, on any album.
And hell, while I'm asking you stuff, I'm also dieing to know how long it took you to develop that speed? What age did you start Double Bass.... (as the Documentary on Lamentations doesn't cover this either)

I'm sure the next album will kick-ass. I hope you're still playing back at home, then again, I'm sure you HAVE to play. I can't take to long of a break myself.. a few days at the most.

Thanks-Darfus.

dude, he's pretty damn good, but you act like he's faster than the speed of light. i've heard faster..

also: from opeth.com
Orchid - Drums: Tama Swingstar, Sabian/Zildian symbals
MR - Drums: Pearl Custom Z Maple, Sabian/Zildian symbals
MAYH - Drums: Tama Swingstar, Sabian/Zildian symbals
SL - Drums : Ludwig Custom, Zildian & Sabian cymbals
BWP - Drums: Ludwig Custom, Zildian & Sabian cymbals
D1 - Drums: Premier Signia Marquis & Sabian cymbals & Premier sticks
D2 - Drums: Premier Signia Marquis & Sabian cymbals & Premier sticks

I guess not MUCH detail, but it's a start/

He's asking about the pedals, not kit or cymbals. I actually wouldn't have a clue. Would it even matter all that much, unless someone had a really crappy low-end one? You might try checking out the Opeth documentary... there are some really close shots of his feet when he does the blasting parts to Deliverance.

Yeah, the solo drum track on "None So Live" is pretty amazing - that guy can really play. Lopez isnt exactly the fastest drummer, but his timing is great. I think I remember him saying at some point hes been playing drums and double bass since his very early teens, but I could be wrong. I dont really think there is really anything wrong with your setup, just keep on practicing and chugging away. You'll get it eventually. :)

Yeah, and what about freaking Yeung guy from VItal Remains, I just can't imagine someone physically performing such drumming...Lopez is great overall drummer, but he's got nothing on some of these other black/death drummers.

He uses Iron Cobras. Not sure which kind, but I know for a fact he uses IC's in the studio and live.

Uneducated people voicing their opinions again. I hate it.

Mournier is all speed. Wooo.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Yeah, and what about freaking Yeung guy from VItal Remains, I just can't imagine someone physically performing such drumming...Lopez is great overall drummer, but he's got nothing on some of these other black/death drummers.

Absolutely, he has to be the fastest drummer I've ever heard, but in terms of overall skill and variety I think maybe martin has him beat. Speed isn't everything.

The last time I spoke with him (long time ago) He told me he's been playing since he had 4 or 5 years, but I really don't know how much time he has been using double bass pedal I assume it was at he's early teen days, 14 or something, remember that he played with Amon Amarth at the age of 17 I think.
He's last entry was one week ago, so I think he checks the forum very often.
And if you're reading this Martín, MAS VALE QUE ME ESCRIBAS.
Good question.
\m/ :headbang:
Luz.-

Darfus said:
Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody knows what bass drum pedals Martin Lopez uses. I am a drummer myself, and I am just curious what he uses to help with his speed. Ridiculous Speed. I try to emulate him, and it just doesn't work, and it might be my pedals. I have the pedals my set came with, Yamaha Fp7210 or something, like $60.00 each. If it's not the pedals it's just me sucking since I've only been drumming a month short of a year.

And Martin, if you're still reading these forums, I'd really appreciate it if you would let me know your equipment. Your band site doesn't say the details of your equipment, on any album.
And hell, while I'm asking you stuff, I'm also dieing to know how long it took you to develop that speed? What age did you start Double Bass.... (as the Documentary on Lamentations doesn't cover this either)

I'm sure the next album will kick-ass. I hope you're still playing back at home, then again, I'm sure you HAVE to play. I can't take to long of a break myself.. a few days at the most.

Thanks-Darfus.

I'd even send you my copy, since I don't care for it. I only enjoy Pain of Salvation live.

Moonlapse said:
He's asking about the pedals, not kit or cymbals. I actually wouldn't have a clue. Would it even matter all that much, unless someone had a really crappy low-end one? You might try checking out the Opeth documentary... there are some really close shots of his feet when he does the blasting parts to Deliverance.

Yes, you're right. I gave that a thought when I gave this post. I just haven't had the time to look at them. It's in the beginning of the documentary I believe as well.

Luz said:
The last time I spoke with him (long time ago) He told me he's been playing since he had 4 or 5 years, but I really don't know how much time he has been using double bass pedal I assume it was at he's early teen days, 14 or something, remember that he played with Amon Amarth at the age of 17 I think.

Yea. He started playing the drums at like 4-6 years of age. But Double bass around, let's say 12 years old, the most realistic and earliest age In my opinion. At 17 years old, in Once Sent From The Golden Hall he had pretty much the same speed he has today. So 5 years of drumming give or take, with double bass, I don't think you're supposed to have that kind of speed.

The song Blackwater Park is just showing off, heh.

P.s. Yes, Flo is ridiculous. I think Lopez has such an edge over him though.