another rigth hand topic

Joe_Metal

New Metal Member
Apr 29, 2003
Québec
Hi,
The msg is for all freaky bassplayers.
I play bass for about 1years and a half. I play with 2 bands.
The guitarist are more experimented then me. But i defend
myself quite well. As everyone (i thought) i think i suck dunkey's balls with my rigth hand. Too fucking slow... I know practice is the key, but i was thinking maybe the technique i use is wrong.¸

I play 3 fingers 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2 etc.

I sure want to develop my onw style but maybe i will fail.
Did someone play like SDG 1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2 ????

If so how many month, years, decade it tooks to enough good to
play with bands?

if not, What technique do U use with your rigth hand???

i play 1-2-3-1-2-3 and 1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2
because it's the most logic...
and no pb for playing very fast !

I play 3-2-1 and found it far more logic, and easier than 1-2-3, once I managed to break out of that triplet feel it gives when I first started it.

Man, you can never just always play ANY one pattern. 3-2-1-2, 3-2-1-3-2-1, 1-2-3-1-2-3...whatever...All those work in any given situation, but you need to master all of the patterns. You need to be as fast with 1-2-1-2 as 3-2-1-3-2-1 etc. Also kids, remember string skipping...? I know I'm being vague once again, but there is no one set right hand finger technique that works all the time. Maybe for warm-ups you can develop one repetitious pattern, but it's not feasible to think that in music you can easily play those patterns over and over again. I mean you might use that technique for short bursts between phrasing, but unless you're playing really boring bass lines, you gotta vary your selections for fast runs.

I wrote a lesson column that deals with one right hand technique, and gave some small examples of how to use it. But that was only one technique and if you look at the part of the song where I use it, it really is pretty varied and mixed in with other rythmic patterns.

Am I being anti-productive if I say that perhaps you're all digging too deep into technique analysis...? I mean the main thing is to get out the best possible performance. One man's 3-2-1 is another man's 1-2-3. If I had to think of every pattern I use in every song, I'd be taking time away from simply trying to be creative. In other words, most of us use only three fingers. How many combinations can there be with three fingers? Not many. So eventually we're all going to wear out the topic of which pattern to use and still wonder how to play fast. I hate to say it, but there's only one way to get faster. Practice is a word that is synonymous with repetition. And the only way to improve, is to do again, and again, and again, and again...

SDG

OOO the Joy of practice!

I´m using a "randon pattern" to play, starting with 3-2-1 and then god knows which finger I use, I just know it works. But sometimes I use the good old 1-2-1-2 pattern.

Do like Steve-o said. Practice. He told me that some time ago, I did what he said and about 4/5 months of practice before I left my plectrum and now I´m a 100% finger-picking freak. Fast and consistent.

(seems like one of those TV Shop comercial´s testimonial)