Short Recabinet & Invader mix test, feedback wanted

Temps

Aug 13, 2008
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7024081 "Focus" version with a bigger low end

My first ever clip with DI... never even used my Pod for a direct recording. So I made this short clip, and I mean short. Its only about 30 seconds long. Doesn't flow because I just wanted to try out two different styles of riff in this one and see what I ended up with.

So its my Engl Invader 100 FX loop send -> Edirol UA-25 -> Kefir -> Recabinet mesa oversize, 6L6 cap impulse -> EQ
For drums it is Superior 2 with the kick & some cymbals from the older DFS

Couple things I wasn't able to really get sorted out...
- The kick sound. Loud enough, does it have enough punch?
- Guitar sound. Too fat?

Hmm, the kick to me sounds like it's at the end of a long hallway; sounds like you've got a shit ton of 'verb on it (or maybe something else is amiss). Also, is it panned center? Cuz it definitely seems to be right-biased to my ears. And yeah, definitely doesn't have enough punch, all I hear is an annoying phasey-sounding click. The Hi-hat is really piercing, especially on the chokes; honestly, those two (kick and hi-hat) are so distracting I can barely even focus on the guitars, but they seem ok (ditch Kefir and use Voxengo Boogex, though!)

I made a dumb mistake and was applying a mono EQ to a stereo track... the kick. Sooo that explains the bias towards one side.. also, it was bleeding into the overheads.
I don't use a stereo widener or anything, on the master I was using a Waves C4 and L2. The C4 I set it to tighten up the lows and highs, and sometimes use it to boost them.. I changed it around so I just used a gentle EQ instead. I also switched to Boogex and now the guitars have basically no EQ on them.

Uploaded this new clip in place of the old one..