Shredding Arps

bodombeach321

New Metal Member
Jul 28, 2004
highlands ranch colorado
Hey, I really do not understand the concept of shredding through arpeggios. Now I heard the new Arch Enemy cd and the brothers do a few of those and i sounds really sick but i cant understnad if you play like a scale or the actual arpeggio. If you could explain this to me it would be great.
I have been playing for around 4 or 5 years so I no what I'm doing .

I'm not totally sure what you're talking about, but they're probably just playing really fast arpegios. If you play the whole scale, its not an arpegio. The way to play fast arpegios? I practice em slowly without distortion and then work my way up to speed.

That's the way I do it, too. If you wanna change the strings quickly you have to use that "technique" (not really) called "sweeping". It's like playing a chord or whatever but you use one finger after another so the tones cannot drown themselves out. I hope you know, what I mean. This is way faster than picking every string separately.

I haven't heard the album, but it could be that they do things like 3 string arpeggio's, which of course is easier to play then 5 or 6 string arpeggio's.
Maybe you could pick an example from a song, it would be easier for people to help you.
The idea for fast arpeggio's is what has been mentioned above, namely starting slowly, clean, get a clear sound (meaning: try to mute the strings you're not playing) and work up to speed. PRACTICE is the word. Michael Angelo Batio didn't become that fast overnight; and Romeo wasn't build in one day.