Shure PG52-what would you do?

StefTD

Jun 29, 2005
Esslingen, Germany
Hey guys!

So at the moment I'm almost completely broke and a band I know wants me to record their demo.
I've access to 2 Shure SM57, some (imho not bad) Studio Projects condenser mic, 2 cheap overheads and the PG52.

They're playing funk/rock stuff (like a mix between RHCP and old Incubus)-do you think the PG52 will work for that kind of stuff (for kick)?
I didn't have any time to try that mic and want to know what I can do with it before I start tracking.
Like I said, I am not able to buy something better at the moment, gonna record them in about a month.

I would go for the "Glyn Johns" method (gonna track them in their rehearsal room, nice room,
was treated by the father of the drummer who plays piano in the same room)
So at the moment I would go for PG52 for the kick, SM57 for snare, the 2 Overheads and I would use my Studio Projects
mic as a room mic so that I could use that sound, too.

Guitars and Bass are no problem.

Do you think I can get an acceptable drum sound out of this (for that kind of music, I am not after a clicky death metal kick)?

Thanks anyways!

Thanks for the info-so the most I could spend would be like 70€ (used is ok).
What do you think about the Audix F12 or F14 or (but only if I could get it really cheap) the AKG D112.
I could rent that one, too, but that would mean I have to talk with the band about that stuff and I don't think that they want/can pay more.

I would love to get the D6, but it's about 230€ new here and I haven't seen a used one in like the six last months (and than nothing cheaper than 140€).
I also don't know where I could rent one, all the rental places I know in that area just own the AKG D112 and the Shure PG52...

you could just use a 57 on the kick beater and use some samples too.

I've got the PG52, if you play around with the mic's placement you can get an OK/usable rock kick tone out of it, once it's squashed and EQ'd. If you want anything with a nice metal click, you're going to have to sample replace with it. It is what it is - an inexpensive mic that's probably much better suited for live PA micing than recording.

I wouldn't use the SP mic for ambience. Use it to mic the ride from underneath, instead. If you find you need more ambience, you can use a stereo impulse of some nice room.

If you have access to sample replacement software / can be assed manually replacing samples, then just chuck the PG52 in there and focus on it getting a clear, high-level signal, and then replace the kicks perhaps.