Shure SM7B... quick questions

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
Hi, my SM7 should be here this week and I've just got two quick questions about it.

Do I need a pop filter? I've seen people use a pop filter and people not using a pop filter.

Am I likely to be able to crank monitors and record vocals in my room? Or will I still need to be using headphones? I know the rejection is good and I've read about people doing the loud monitors with this mic, just wondered what results they'd gotten?

Not really got time to test the thing out until I actually record vocals later in the week. Cheers :)

I prefer the traditional way. Remove windscreen, use external pop filter, headphones, mic stand. Though I rarely work with the kind of music where a kid will have to bounce all over the control room swinging the mic wildly during breakdowns.

Cheers guys. Looking forward to using it.

I think the postal service is on a go slow up here just now. I'm gonna have to beat my post man with his own shoes if he doesn't come tomorrow :D

P1020611.jpg

Ahhh, well, I won't be doing that. I'll just use a stand.

Postman tried to deliver it today but I was out on the west coast working. My housemate has picked it up... which is lucky, cos I may have had to hit the postman for taking so long.

Now, where's my EMG 81?

How do you take the foam off of the mic? Do you literally have to cut it off or something?

Not sure, but I'm guessing you either pull it off like a used condom, or it screws off with the plastic ring?