Sickening promotion of Wars of Winter

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I think we could be spared a little for the Wars of Winter promotion campaign that is going on.

I don't want to step on any toes, but shouldn't the Wars of Winter threads be placed in the forum for unsigned bands or whatever they call it?

Yeah probably , but that's been done , and there has been no response , I posted in 2 forums . One in the blaze , were I know none of the member , and one post in the opeth were I know most of the members here . In the blaze forum I wanted to let everyone know about the band , in the opeth forum I just wanted to tell everybody about the new song . Nobody complains when thales or soul forlorn promotes there band . It's only Wars of Winter .

This kind of always goes to back to the "if you don't like it don't read it" line of thinking. One of the greatest things about this board is the variety of subjects discussed. There are many who are looking for and are happy to discover new music. There are a lot of "Opethian" bands on this board. Many of these bands also have "fans" that are members on this board that are quite happy to learn about new songs and give feedback such as suggestions, praise, and criticism. In the world of underground music I'd like to ask how would any of the bands that anyone currently listens to be without internet promotion of one sort or another? I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Opeth listeners, especially the ones who have been into Opeth for quite some time, discovered them on the internet. I did. Bottom line- If you don't like Wars of Winter or any other band on this forum, that's perfectly fine. If the majority of members of the board expressed their wishes for ZERO promotion, then fine. I'll stop as well. But I doubt that will be the case. I'd welcome the thoughts of more non-band members of this board concerning this subject.

Originally posted by Soul Forlorn
This kind of always goes to back to the "if you don't like it don't read it" line of thinking. One of the greatest things about this board is the variety of subjects discussed. There are many who are looking for and are happy to discover new music. There are a lot of "Opethian" bands on this board. Many of these bands also have "fans" that are members on this board that are quite happy to learn about new songs and give feedback such as suggestions, praise, and criticism. In the world of underground music I'd like to ask how would any of the bands that anyone currently listens to be without internet promotion of one sort or another? I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Opeth listeners, especially the ones who have been into Opeth for quite some time, discovered them on the internet. I did. Bottom line- If you don't like Wars of Winter or any other band on this forum, that's perfectly fine. If the majority of members of the board expressed their wishes for ZERO promotion, then fine. I'll stop as well. But I doubt that will be the case. I'd welcome the thoughts of more non-band members of this board concerning this subject.

SF is right , if you don't like the title "new song from Wars of Winter" then don't read the post . as simple as that , I posted those post's for the people that actually listen to wars of winter when they get the chance and for the people that haven't heard of us yet . sometimes 100's of hours of work goes into one song , when you put that up on the net you want people to hear your hard work , and when someone tells you " Hey even though you just spent days in the house without any social life and sometime's food to make this song, stop promoting your music here . Last time I checked there wasn't any rule that said "there will not be any promoting on this board" . Most Opeth fans a very open minded and are always looking for new music to listen to , we are a band that is greatly influenced by Opeth fans and some of the fans that I've met like the sound of Wars of Winter , so my point being , what would be a better place to promote your music than a forum swarming in Opeth Fans . Give the Opethian Band Fans a fucking break .

This kind of always goes to back to the "if you don't like it don't read it" line of thinking.

Bingo! You've got that right. There should be no need of complaints when you actually HAVE the choice to read the thread or not. If it bugs you to read it, I'm surprised you even took up more of your time to post something. Just don't read it.

I could see why someone would be upset if all the threads at this forum were nothing but promotion. If you tried to start an Opeth thread, but it was quickly pushed off the first page because 10 bands tried to promote their music, I to would be upset. This is not the case though. A forum of this size should openly welcome other bands with similar sounds to Opeth. Nothing is better then discovering great bands that you would have never heard of if not for the net. Right now there is a great balance at this board between Opeth posts, and other posts. While I personally wish there was a tap on the number of polls people could make, that is not a big enough issue to me to start a specific thread about it, and thus jamming the board up even more.

The more stuff at this forum, the more alive it will be.

I would be pissed if someone posted their first post to promote their band and then just leaves never to post on here again. But warsofwinter has been here for a very long time and posts here on a regular basis. I have no problem with it.

OK, so promoting is fine. But several people have asked warsofwinter to make that damn thing an avatar, which he has ignored. not very polite, in my opinion.

Since it's not overdone on this messageboard, I see no problem introducing music here. It blends in with the other threads. If there was only promoting going on, or, like someone said before, you came on here to promote, then left, then it would suck.

Hmmm... interesting stances.

I'm somewhere between Soul Forlorn and metalmancpa. Anybody on this board who has a band should feel free to promote it, the majority of us here, I would think, would be interested to hear it. And of course, the "don't like it don't read it" line of thought stands as always. However, if some guy from some band just came in here and began spamming us endlessly with his self-promotion without being a participant on the forum otherwise, that'd be very annoying, I'd want him removed.

However, as this is not the case, all is good.

I agree, too much spamming will only discourage people from taking an interest...or maybe I'm just a little envious because the unsigned bands are getting more attention than my music page. Of course, I wish all of you well.

Edited because I forgot the fucking link...

Hearse ,

I have not posted sickingly about Wars of Winter here , the whole time i've been here I've posted all of 3 times , Once was introducing the band (whats a band if nobody listen's to em) , THE second time was to tell everybody that listened to us the first time to check out a new song that we had written , the third time was to tell everyone about another new song that we had up-loaded . I also posted one message in the blaze forum .

Anyway , i've been bitched at for my sig , i've been bitched at for my post of Wars of Winter , what more can I be bitched at for , my nickname . I thought this was a message board of free speach , I took my sig off , and I'm stoping posting about Wars of Winter , soon i'll be not posting here at all

Allright, allright ... like I said initially, this wasn't about stepping on toes...

OF COURSE I can skip a thread which suggests its about Wars of Winter, which I'm sure is a fine band and all.

My point (which I still think remains valid), is that the Wars of Winter stuff belongs to the "Unsigned" forum.

NOT because I think they suck, or not because they're not Thales or whatever (I haven't seen so much on other bands as WoW) -
but just BECAUSE.

If the thread were OPETH- related, okay, why not. Like a discussion whether WoW steal a lot of stuff from OPETH or what have you.

There IS place for WoW in the OPETH forum, but it is getting clogged up pretty much already..

THE IRONY IS THAT I MADE THIS THREAD - AND WHAT'S IT ABOUT ... WARS OF WINTER.

I think I'll go hibernating.

Yeah , at the moment i'm trying to find new ways to promote our music so it will get more recognized then complained about I think I should just take a list of the people that would like to hear the next released WOW song or something like that (And the next one is recorded and it's a killer) , then I could get all the people that would like to hear the songs . But anyway , i've stopped promoting anywhere for a long while .

warsofwinter, why dont you just have a tiny little one-line WoW news thingie in your signature on this forum? just update that whenever you add a new song with the link to the song or your mp3 page.

go right ahead and post any new stuff when you want....if people do not like it, they can just not click on it.