Signal Routing Help

cfh11

Apr 25, 2012
Boston, MA
ok so i just got my first piece of outboard (smart c2 compressor) and am having issues with the signal strength when i use it as an insert in PT. when i set it up as an insert on the 2buss i see a huge decrease in output. i find that i cant raise either the output level or input level on my interface without degrading the signal. i even have the pad on and i can still barely raise the gain.

the compressor only has xlr in and my interface only has 1/4 inch out so i had to buy patch cables instead of running a standard xlr but the output of the interface and the input of the compressor are both balanced so i feel like this shouldnt be an issue. i am running standard xlr cables out of the compressor (with the balanced output switch on) into the inputs on my interface.

something definitely doesnt seem right.... HALP!!

alright so i did some more testing and it seems like the signal path is being severely overloaded for some reason. the volume drops way down and if i try to turn up the master on my interface i get a loud high pitched buzzing sound. it doesnt matter whether the output is set to balanced/unbalanced on the compressor output, whether the compressor is "in" or not, or whether i am using it as an insert or a send - all the same result. wtf am i doing wrong?

For starters you haven't been too descriptive which makes diagnosing a little more tricky, but I will go over the obvious things. Are you using only line level inputs and outputs on your interface? Is your internal routing correct? You may have a feedback loop happening, what Interface are you using? You have to make sure that the send that goes to the compressor is on different line output(s) than the main monitor outputs and that the only thing being sent to the compressor is the send output. From there you have to make sure that the output of the compressor is going to an open line level input on your interface but also make sure that the internal routing of your interface isn't sending a live monitoring signal back to the output of your interface, the compressor or your monitors. Live monitoring should be off, and the line input on your interface should only be sent to the return input on the insert in PT.

It sounds like you have a loop happening where something in the signal is reversing the polarity of the phase in the loop, causing it to cancel out the signal as you turn it up.

Take a look at what the signal going into the compressor is doing, change the monitoring of the VU meter and see what it looks like, if the input is dropping as you are turning up the line output from your interface, then the signal at the interface is dropping. Remove the output of the compressor that goes back into the interface and look at what the input of the compressor is doing, if it increases as you increase the output of the interface, then that means there is a reverse polarity loop happening somewhere.

Pics of your physical wiring setup and pics of your interfaces internal routing setup would help too.

but also make sure that the internal routing of your interface isn't sending a live monitoring signal back to the output of your interface

i finally got it sorted and this was the issue ^^^ had to turn down the fader in my interface's software.

it was simultaneously making the signal path overload AND drastically cutting the volume due to phasing. driving me f#&^$%$* nuts trying to figure it out :Spin:

thanks for the response:kickass: