Silent recording setup, your thoughts?

MarkG

Feb 15, 2009
Netherlands
My birthday is coming up, and as some of you may know I've set my sights on a Saffire LE audio interface for my recording. Chances are I won't have any money left over after that, so my recordings will most likely be ENGL Blackmore preamp > Audio Interface.

That doesn't mean one isn't allowed to dream, and think ahead though...right? :lol:

I've got a 4U rackspace lying around, along with a 2x15 band stereo rack EQ. I was thinking saving up for an ENGL e530 preamp, and a power conditioner to be on the safe side. Should set me back about 530 euro total, which isn't too bad.

Am I totally going overboard here, or is this something worth persuing? I'd have my ENGL blackmore for live playing with my band, and the 4U ENGL e530 setup for silent home practise and impulse recording.

I'm just GASing so bad right now...o_O

I dunno dude, I don't really see the point in getting an e530 when you have a Blackmore already (cuz I doubt the preamps of those two would sound particularly different, if at all) - the ONLY reason I can think of to get the e530 is if you were so cramped for space that you couldn't fit your Blackmore anywhere near your desk/interface, but seeing as how Engls let you send preamp signal through the FX send with the amp on standby (meaning you don't have to have a cab connected), that's all the more reason I'd say to spend that money on something else! (monitors, cab, etc.)

I dunno dude, I don't really see the point in getting an e530 when you have a Blackmore already (cuz I doubt the preamps of those two would sound particularly different, if at all) - the ONLY reason I can think of to get the e530 is if you were so cramped for space that you couldn't fit your Blackmore anywhere near your desk/interface, but seeing as how Engls let you send preamp signal through the FX send with the amp on standby (meaning you don't have to have a cab connected), that's all the more reason I'd say to spend that money on something else! (monitors, cab, etc.)

I totally forgot I could use the blackmore for silent recording. :ill: I guess the money would be better suited for a nice pair of sm57s then huh

Haha, well I'm happy with one, but having two is always better! (though I'd really suggest trying to get the best results with one before you try using the second). What kind of cab do you have, though?

Get a 1x12, make an iso-box and float it off the floor. You can record at deathly volumes at 3 a.m. and no one will know whats goin on.

-Greg

I've got a Framus 2x12 V30 cabinet.

Hmm, well JoeMatthews posted a clip of his Laney through his Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cab (which is apparently identical) that I liked, so I guess you can get good results from it - still, I'm hooked on 4x12's (especially Mesa Rectifiers :D), so ultimately that'd be my recommendation!

Hmm, well JoeMatthews posted a clip of his Laney through his Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cab (which is apparently identical) that I liked, so I guess you can get good results from it - still, I'm hooked on 4x12's (especially Mesa Rectifiers :D), so ultimately that'd be my recommendation!

The Harley Benton 2x12 V30 and Framus are not identical...at least I should hope not. I payed 100 euros more for it -_-

I'n the long long long term, I'll be going for a 4x12. For now though I'm a college boy in a college house with a lot of pissed off college people if I make too much noise:D