Since I know there are a few locals here...

EricT

Don't you ever get...
Aug 25, 2005
Lost In Necropolis
Just wondering if I was the only person confused when browsing 24tix website and seeing this:

Balance Of Power
w/ What Dwells Within, Adapt, GodAwful

Saturday, February 02 @ 08:00PM
Club Vegas

At first I was extremely confused as to why I hadn't heard anything about this... And then after I collected myself I went to myspace and discovered it was a local band called "A Balance of Power". I knew something like THE "Balance of Power" wouldn't escape my radar 100%, and I have no idea why they'd ever play Utah randomly. Still, was confused none the less.

:lol:

Just wondering if I was the only person confused when browsing 24tix website and seeing this:

At first I was extremely confused as to why I hadn't heard anything about this... And then after I collected myself I went to myspace and discovered it was a local band called "A Balance of Power". I knew something like THE "Balance of Power" wouldn't escape my radar 100%, and I have no idea why they'd ever play Utah randomly. Still, was confused none the less.

:lol:

if you think that is bad, it gets worse! :p

There is also a band from Salt Lake with the name Redemption... several months ago, BOTH bands were on the billing for a show, and there were several people from out of the state actually making plans to fly out to see the show ana contacted me to confirm if it was true!!! You can imagine the confurse at that point! Trust me, if both bands that WE know were playing, not teh utah knock-offs, I'd be making a big deal about it.

I don't know what the siuation is with Englands BOP vs. Utah's THE BOP, but I think they but "The" in front of their name to avoid confustion because Lance did contact them about possible changing their name. Talk about lazy and no originality! :loco:

I know that Nick form Redemptuion has made mention that he has no problem with SLC's Redemtion, assuming they don't sign a licencing deal. If they did that, there could be issues, and otherwise they could see the wrath of Mr. Van Dyke. :lol:

If I would have seen that I would have been so disappointed when I found out it was some local bands.

Reminds me of an incident just a few months ago where I got an email list of shows coming up from one of the promoters around here, and I say "Blaze". At first I said to myself "BLAZE BAILEY IS TOURING?! And hitting UT?!" and then about 3 minutes later I check up on it and noticed it was some rapper.

I was so very disappointed.

This is why I love when bands have names like "The Lord Weird Slough Feg", "Green Carnation", "Hammers of Misfortune" or "Symphony X" etc.

You just can't confuse band names like that with local bands.

That reminds me. Keep an eye out for my new band "Hammers of Ms. Fortune" - We just recorded a new album titled "Symphony X" on Slough Feg records. Call your radio station to request our new single "Green Carnation".

If I would have seen that I would have been so disappointed when I found out it was some local bands.

Reminds me of an incident just a few months ago where I got an email list of shows coming up from one of the promoters around here, and I say "Blaze". At first I said to myself "BLAZE BAILEY IS TOURING?! And hitting UT?!" and then about 3 minutes later I check up on it and noticed it was some rapper.

I was so very disappointed.

This is why I love when bands have names like "The Lord Weird Slough Feg", "Green Carnation", "Hammers of Misfortune" or "Symphony X" etc.

You just can't confuse band names like that with local bands.

And this is why Blaze Bayley finally re-added the "Bayley" to the band name, although it makes him seem all solo-artist-y. Can't blame him. I'm cool with leaving the band as just Blaze on my iPod for now, though... the first three albums still have that name and I'm unlikely to have the rapper on there, ever. ;)

I think it's funny that both Utah bands - Redemption and THE Balance of Power - have been approached by the larger named AND signed acts to change their names, and both thumbed their noses and blew them off. Lucky for these yahoo's, niether of the larger bands are interested in pursing legal action right now, due it part that both Utah bands have no licnencing or publishing issues to their names... yet.

Here these bands have a chance to save face early, and change their names to somthing more original and keep from adding to the confusion, but would rather be stubborn about it. First of all, both bands are far below average and probably won't get very far, and if the do, and just happen to gain licencing or publishing thorugh a third party in said bands home country, they will have to change their names anyway or face leagal action.... so whats the point? typical moronic smalltown mentallity of bands in Utah.

I agree, Dustin. If I remember there was even a hardcore band called Zero Hour that was scheduled to play here. I about shit my pants because I thought it was the Tipton bros band.