Since I'm sure there's got to be a few people here who like avant-garde music...

Jun 4, 2004
...anyone familiar with Naked City? I'm thinking about checking out the Black Box that has the albums Torture Garden and Leng Tch'e.

ive heard naked city (hearing it was a great grind album), it was crazy... i downloaded it about a year ago. I dismissed it after one listen and deleted it. I should try to listen to it again with my now much broader tastes in music.

Pseud0 said:
ive heard naked city (hearing it was a great grind album), it was crazy... i downloaded it about a year ago. I dismissed it after one listen and deleted it. I should try to listen to it again with my now much broader tastes in music.
Which album did you download? I haven't heard anything yet, I've just done a lot of reading. They were fronted by jazz musician John Zorn and their early work experimented with grindcore and thrash, but also featured alto sax and other oddly non-metal influences. I'm interested in Torture Garden/Leng Tch'e because a review I read of Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer compared it to that.

yep it was torture garden i downloaded. I was surfing around the Braindead webzine and read their review in which they gave the album 5 stars.

hi all,

Naked City is a project from avant-jazz composer John Zorn, with Bill Frisell on guitar, I-dont-remeber-who-right-now on drums and Eye of the Boredomes on the occasional fucked-up screams.
The music is free jazz combined with grind and hardcore. The songs range from the Batman theme redone to 30-seconds explosions of chaos, sort of Napalm Death gone bad (in a jazzy way). Quite jarring on the ear but interesting nonetheless. Search for "Naked City" and "Radio".

svish said:
Are you talking about "Avantgarde" as Arcturus' and Solefald's genre, or something different?
avant-garde is simply a French word meaning "vanguard". It could be used to defind the vanguard of an army, but more often it is used as the term for "cutting edge" art. Basically it's experimental art, music, fiction, and film. Surrealism and progressive music are closely associated with it. Arcturus and Into the Pandemonium-era Celtic Frost can be considered avant-garde metal but it's a far more broad genre of music than just those.